Featured Questions about this cameo. TYIA

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by gauntlettgems, Feb 27, 2024.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

IMG_2754.jpeg IMG_2755.jpeg IMG_2756.jpeg
    Hi,
    1. What age do you think this is?

2. Why is there a bail placed in the wrong direction?

3. Why would they have made this rounded in the back as opposed to flat? I thought it might have opened or something but I don’t see a hinge

Thank you for any help on this

2. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Maybe the cameo is a replacement?

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Your piece is originally a mourning brooch from mid 19th.
    They held a piece of hair work under a glass, the opening is from the front, as a box lid without hinge, but very difficult to open (sometimes fixed!) because it is very tightly adjusted.
    I don't know why the back is convex... They were nearly all like that.
    The ring is a bail if the brooch is worn in original correct position, horizontally; may be too for for adding a security chain.
    The cameo is not original to the brooch!
    See this one:
    https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...black-enamel-mourning-brooch-113-c-3d048ed95e

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Kyra has already explained the marriage. The cameo is hand cut helmet shell. There is no generally accepted term for cameos like this one, but I think of them as fantasy village scenes. Have never seen any 2 alike. They seem to be the carver's own composition, using certain stock elements: gnarled trees; old or ruined buildings; a stream; a bridge; a woman or 2; geese; a goat; a few others.

Could have been that the glass on the brooch was broken. Fortuitously, someone found this cameo, with its sense of yearning, that could be fit into the opening & held down with the original frame.

As for the convex backs, I suppose it could be a way of disguising & smoothing out what would otherwise be a back surface far from flat. It's not a true bail; someone has added a large jump ring to what was originally an anchor for a safety chain.

5. gauntlettgems

Wow! Would have never guessed it was reworked into this cameo. Shame it isn’t totally original Thank you for the help. I was right on my thoughts on age and that it was likely a mourning piece. Trying to learn! You guys are great

6. gauntlettgems

The safety chain thing makes more sense. Ty!

kyratango, Bronwen and stracci like this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

IMHO, it would no longer be considered a mourning piece. A "non-mourning" cameo was put into a mourning setting. (Others may feel differently. :))
    I do love those old settings!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    kyratango and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted