Questions for anyone who has worn screw back earrings?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Kimbert, Jan 11, 2019.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Some vintage clips are nice, or at least non-pierced. Wingbacks are great, and there's another company whose metalwork is all once piece - no moving parts. I can never remember the name. For modern clips, Monet ones work; they have rivets and levers instead of springs.

KikoBlueEyes and Kimbert like this.
  2. Kimbert

Kimbert Well-Known Member

Since they seem to work for some of you and not for others, the only sensible solution was to try for myself!:woot: I've bought a less expensive pair off ebay today, I really hope they are comfortable to wear!

thanks for the tip! If I find the presuure bothersome I'll look into these!
    They certainly look like fiddly contraptions! My earlobes aren't too small, so hopefully that'll help things!
    I can so relate to the "had to have" feeling :D they sound beautiful- I love snake motifs! That's a clever way to convert screbacks!!
    thanks for the info! I've never been enticed to try any clip on's yet, but might some day! I'm tired of passing over all the earrings that aren't for pierced ears. I think I have a vague memory of wearing some when I was very young (like 6 years old) and remember it hurting and pinching, but I'm sure my pain tolerance was lower as a six year old!

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I have pierced ears. Yet I wear more clip and screw back, because they are big and bold. Large pierced earrings would be too heavy to wear.

I found that what we tend to do is put the earrings on, either clip or screw back, look in the mirror, see that one isn't positioned straight, then twist it into place. What you are twisting is your skin. You need to unclip, or unscrew the earring re-position and then tighten. Otherwise your ears will be hurting within an hours time.

4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Personally hate screw backs-I’ve posted before that I think they were invented by the same masochist who came up with pointy toe stilettos but those feelings aside, I collect vintage Mexican silver and usually convert screwbacks to clips. If they have stones they can be lasered only. Pads will help but IMO one is far more likely to lose a screw back than a clip.

My ears are pierced but I can’t take any weight and like larger earrings. I don’t care about potentially hurting value by conversion as I can’t wear them if I don’t convert them.

5. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

It's a little out of subject, but it exist some resin you can put on the surfaces which cause you a problem, they are two component and some heat softened and in many colors, they stay soft and like adhesive.
    I've used that solution when my wife who has small fingers want to use antique rings too large, on earrings it can be a solution to preserve the piece and give less pressure on skin.

6. Kimbert

@clutteredcloset49 I will keep in mind to always unscrew before trying to reposition- I probably would have attempted it with them still screwed tight!! I also like the l the big bold look of screw backs and clip ons! I have a couple pair of pierced earrings that are big round studs, but they just don't sit the same way- clip ons and screw backs seem to stay more upright and not droopy! I really want to get that look with the screw backs rather than bothering with converted them to posts!

@reader Stilettos are deathly (can't wear them) I really hope screw backs wont hurt as much as that! :eek::D I wouln't want to convert to posts because they'd be too heavy/ it would change the way the earrings sit too much I think, but clips could be something to think about... I'll see how it goes! I also collect mexican silver jewelry- first time adding any earrings to the collection!

@Lecollectionneur interesting! It's safe to use on silver? I'd never heard of it, I'll keep that in mind! :D

kyratango likes this.
  7. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

There is neutral material, normally used for medical purpose by the ergotherapist for making orthesis etc…
    I've test the acidity coefficient at the beginning and it's about 6, no problems too of blackening silver with sulfur or others components.

Kimbert and kyratango like this.
  8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

@Kimbert

I’d suggest you wear them for several hours at home before wearing them out. You’ll have a much better idea of how well you can tolerate them and if you can get them tight enough to stay on. Better to drop one in the house than out and about. Completely agree that you shouldn’t convert to posts-they probably wouldn’t sit correctly but as long as there’s enough earring back for a small clip, conversion will work.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

as a kid, i'd try on my moms clips.....they always hurt my ears.........nuff said !

Kimbert and reader like this.
  10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    In the 70s I used to use ostomy paste to glue big ass "jewels" to my ear lobe. The only time I had an ear pierced was in the navy when I crossed the equator. It healed over a few weeks later.
    greg

kyratango, reader and komokwa like this.
  11. Kimbert

This is a very good suggestion, I'll do a test run on a at home day for sure!!

:hilarious: yet you kept trying them! haha the things we put ourselves through!
    I'm suprised that would stick well enough, I bet you looked super groovy!!

kyratango, komokwa and reader like this.
  12. Kimbert

Just wanted to say that I finally got to try out the screw-back earrings I bought! Been wearing them for only an hour but so far there is no pain and they feel secure. So if I can stand them for a couple more hours, I've opened the floodgates of buying many more similar pairs -I could never wear a stud this gigantic as a normal post earring!! exciting. So to anyone who hasn't tried screwbacks, I'd say it's worth a shot!
    screwback.jpg

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very pretty, Kimbert.:)

kyratango and Kimbert like this.
  14. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Wear them in good health. They’re great looking. Wish I could tolerate screwbacks!

15. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Those are really nice looking earrings.
    Welcome to the world of fantastic costume jewelry. You are going to have so much fun.
    I wear large costume earrings all the time. Lots of rhinestones.

Kimbert, kyratango and Phaik Hooi like this.
  16. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

awesome!! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted