Questions on how to sell 30-inch sterling beads/necklace from Tiffany

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by northernridge, Feb 10, 2016.

1. northernridge

northernridge Active Member

This necklace actually measures a bit over 30", and weighs 80 grams. It's in its original suede and satin package.
    [​IMG]
    I'm inclined to start this at $9.99 and let market drive the price. (Wish I'd had it in time for Valentine's, alas.) The condition is very fine, and the package is impressive.
    Also, to my eye, these are 9 mm size beads. Can someone confirm that please?
    [​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Do you have a cm/mm ruler?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

You may have trouble selling it on ebay, Tiffany tend to object to any Tiffany stuff, regardless of originality, since they know contesting a VERO protest and takedown is beyond the wit and patience of most users.

Added to that, sceptical ebay buyers will assume it is a high class knock off anyway, and pay accordingly.

I suggest consigning it with a good bricks and mortar auction house that will by implication vouch for originality. The fees are higher but the result is likely to be that much better with fewer problems.

komokwa and silverthwait like this.
  4. afantiques

It's 3/8ths, that's near enough 9mm. Good size for a bullet.

5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Given all that - if it's not too much trouble (and it turns out to be cost effective) have it certified...

6. scoutshouse

ebay: Fake Tiffany Sterling Jewelry

Towards the bottom, it states how many beads should be on a 9mm bead necklace - and other fun details, like oval tag with "Return to Tiffany."

You can probably find one of these at a thrift store to measure - I hate measuring stuff, so I'm always looking for tools that make it easier for me...

Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 11.44.09 AM.png

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    trip98 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. northernridge

Hmmm. There are a lot of sold sterling items from Tiffany on eBay...

I appreciate your input, but I live remote, and am inclined to do the selling myself.

And doesn't this authenticate it (along with the fancy package)?
    [​IMG]

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. northernridge

scoutshouse likes this.
  9. northernridge

Thank you for that. I've just pulled it up.

scoutshouse likes this.
  10. scoutshouse

Cool, I think! Knowing how precise they are in measuring, I'd definitely try to do the same, just to cover yourself.

Personally, I'd go ahead and try eBay - I haven't had anything I've sold before - I get warnings when I upload things, but that's about it.

11. northernridge

I
    I'm with you.

I see a lot of Tiffany sterling auctions that started at $.99, so I'll probably go with my own inclination to start at 9.99, on Monday. None of the aforementioned went as high as $200, but they were not nearly as much sterling as this, and lacked the fancy packaging as well.

Thank you!

12. northernridge

Update: I just heard from my client that she purchased these at Tiffany's 20 - 25 years ago. So I plan to use that in the listing. I like to write:
    AUTHENTICITY
    Guaranteed by seller...

13. afantiques

It may be just me but that raises doubts about authenticity that may not have been there before. Original invoice, fine. Hearsay from an unknown, no evidential value.

The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.

R W Emerson.

14. northernridge

I like the quote, af!

But, hmmm. It seemed to work some years ago when I sold a large antique Staffordshire transferware collection. I got good prices for cracked, chipped and crazed items.

But I take your caution seriously, and hope others will weigh in on this point.

scoutshouse likes this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well, things look in order....but as for me , if I had bought these in the mid to late 1990's....I'd know exactly where...when....& i'd have kept the receipt !

scoutshouse likes this.
  16. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Email Tiffany. I had a key chain from Tiffany and I sent an email with pictures to ask them if it was authentic and they emailed back stating that it was.

17. northernridge

Yes, it's a shame there is no receipt, alas.

18. scoutshouse

Once you hit the upload button, you're the one responsible for authenticity, not your client.

They probably are real, but - when I said I'd go for it, I meant after I made sure to:

Measure the beads accurately and make sure the size corresponds with the specs on the link. (8mm size bead- 19 beads; 9mm size bead- 18beads; 10mm size bead- 17 beads)

^^^ MY MISTAKE: the specs above are for bracelets, but I'm sure there is information on 8, 9 and 10 mm bead necklaces

Test it
    Weigh it
    Include all that in the glowing description.

Add that, for good measure.

If I were a shopper, no matter how much I wanted them, I'd have to hear more than when the owner remembers buying them...

But if you do all the above, shoppers will know you've done your due diligence.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    komokwa likes this.
  19. northernridge

I learned last night that it was the owner's husband who bought. At Tiffany's.

20. scoutshouse

Cool! maybe they can track down an old credit card receipt? or a picture of her wearing them? That'd be awesome.

I hope you understand, NR: I'm not holding your feet to the fire to prove to me these are Tiffany. I've never been flagged by eBay, Chanel or another seller, but I furnish as much information as I can so the buyer feels I know what I'm selling.

To much risk involved for me, so I only put things on that are no-brainers.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Pat P likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted