Featured Quick follow up, polishing reveals inventory #?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lucille.b, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Got this piece polished up. Invisible in most lighting (as you will see) but one pic with natural lighting coming in from the side, just right... you can see a number etched in. I handled this a thousand times without seeing it and only noticed it in the photo! I assume some kind of "inventory" or "jewelers" number? How best to describe this in the auction? Also, does this impact value? If it is any kind of negative, I am hesitant to list with the last photo, because actually in the hand, it doesn't show up like this. Was just that lighting caught it perfectly.

Tell me when you see the etched number:

amark1b.jpg amark2a.jpg amark2b.jpg amark3.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, I see it, 19155. Sorry, I haven't got a clue other than the marks which have already been identified.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Trying this again, @Lucille.b -- I like the suspense of your photos, leading to the last one! But don't have an idea about the number. (Previously tagged the wrong person...)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Bronwen, judy, Lucille.b and 3 others like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe insurance numbering? That’s just a guess.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ya...a dealers number written with one of those metal etching pens.
    I have one...bought to mark my valuables when it was all the rage to put your So Security number on your items..........never used it though !

I do not believe it affects the value of your wonderful silver...in any way shape or form.....
    The prick should have marked it on the inside though...........:oops:

Jivvy, Christmasjoy, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  6. komokwa

Just mention there's an dealers inventory number below the hallmark........
    nuff said !

Christmasjoy, Bronwen, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

It looks like it may be a jewelers mark, like you see on the inside of watches and lockets. The do it very finely/lightly...

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If I were the buyer, I would be unhappy with you if you did not mention or show this mark with the others, since at some point, when the light hit it just right, it would eventually pop out at me. Personally, I like these little indicators of its history & would not see it as a negative, but you don't want the buyer to be someone who does.

I find it interesting that whoever put the number there did so on the diagonal rather than lining it up under the other marks. I have the sense it is meant to connect with the maker's mark. Artisan? Model? Inventory?
    Think sometimes this was done when a watch was repaired/serviced. Pawnshops also did it; may still for all I know.

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Sorry, didn't read everyone's comments. So someone may have mentioned this.

Does there appear to be any repairs?
    Looks a lot like the numbers a jeweler would use after a repair.

10. komokwa

if a jeweler scratched that on my box after a repair..........he'd next have to repair his jaw......

11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses.

I'm definitely mentioning the extra number even though you can barely see it -- the first three photos are how it shows up in real life. Kind of a miracle my camera caught it at an angle where it popped. But I'm glad to have seen it so I can mention it correctly.

Have the auction on a scheduled listing and already included the last photo shown here where it is quite distinct.

I didn't notice any repairs, but will double check.

12. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

How a jeweler would want it. But, yeah - should have been done inside, if that's what it was. :)

13. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

I have several pieces of silver and jewelry from a well known shop. They faintly marked all of their pieces with a code that included a date and origin. It took me a while to figure it out. I don't find it offensive and has actually helped me ID some of their pieces by contacting them and asking about their number.
    Patd

Draft saved Draft deleted