Quick one - estate sale ad went up yesterday starts tomorrow ... sterling??

Discussion in 'Silver' started by evelyb30, Aug 20, 2020.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

2. evelyb30

(meanwhile what I really love is the dining room set ...and that stove. Gave my kitchenaid away because I never used it. My church kitchen has it now.)

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Aquitaine and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I went looking for a pattern to match with the flatware. No luck. Looks post WWII forward to me and silver plated at best. But it also would not surprise me if it's stainless. EDIT - saw the very last picture - the flatware in a "tarnish protective container." Forget stainless, but I still stand by plated.

I only saw one other lot with "possible silver" in it, but it was not close enough to have an opinion.

WOW SiS! I didn't look hard enough! Great find!

5. evelyb30

I was thinking it was probably plated, but hoping for the real deal ... and now I'm wondering what sort of crazy price they'll have on it!

6. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Haha you beat me too it! That's the first photo that drew my attention. Definitely the same pattern.

7. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

The compote here is a possible:
    Capture.JPG

8. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I would say 80% (or more) chance this is going to be a sterling set of Silver Wheat. Until I saw that replacement photo, I've never seen Arles stainless by Reed and Barton and I can't seem to find a single photo of the pattern other than the grainy image on replacements. Hopefully it's priced moderately and one of you can swoop in and score!

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

What about what's in the shoe box on P.34???
    I'd take the Kitchen Aid Mixer!!
    Love the Anhauser Busch Box--for the fun of it!
    Pgs.15/35- probably.
    P.6...sm basket- maybe.

Bakersgma likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That shoe box does look intriguing!

11. evelyb30

I do have to admit to wondering. Probably plated stuff. I have hopes of the candy dish. At a lot of these sales, the big silver lumps go to "known" buyers and people like me can't get our snoots in. I'm primarily a jewelry person, but opportunistic scrapping isn't beneath me. (LOL) Above my price range in these parts, generally speaking, but that's the nature of the beast.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  12. evelyb30

Update: got up at OhLord'30 and was 4th in line. I watched through the window as the guys working the sale discussed the silver ... and marked it over melt. I found a teaspoon and some candlesticks that I'll break even on at least and two new "butt pads". The bits of gold jewelry and the flatware and compote were all sitting after 90 minutes. One silver necklace sold after I turned it down at the price marked. Maybe this crew will get the message. Stuff that's worth melt can't be sold for melt to people who will get LESS than melt for it when they flip it.

MrNate likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted