Featured Radio

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by justaguy, Jul 27, 2021.

1. justaguy

justaguy New Member

Hi.

My wife got this from her grandmother. It doesn't work properly. It does power on and like one station comes in, but the sound is fuzzy due to the poor condition of the speaker.

Would you think this has any value? I was thinking of putting it Facebook Marketplace for $50-$75 here in the Toronto area.

Thanks for the input.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bronwen, FishLure, lovewrens and 8 others like this.
  2. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

It's been 10-15 years that I had a bunch of old speakers and tubes to sell off, but the tubes in that radio might be worth more than the $75 or $100 you would ask for the radio.
    It might be worth your time to research the tubes also. I have no idea of the market or demand for these old tubes now.

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Someone's going to like that. I do.

Siblye, Bronwen, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I agree. Beautiful look and finish.Don’t ‘strip it out’. Sell as is. It can be a quick fix for someone who knows old radios. Very collectible and somebody will love to have it!

5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Is the speaker cone torn?

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

One of the things I do to stay out of trouble is refurbish old tube radios. I also have a pretty good business selling tubes on the internet. I am guessing the tubes in this radio are fairly run of the mill and might fetch $25.00 or so unless you have a way to test and verify how good they are. I would happily pay $50.00 for it especially since it does power on and detect at least a station. The fact that the case is dinged rather badly doesn't help it.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I'd ask $95.00 and be willing to barter a bit.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Most of these old radios require an antenna and a ground to get any range. I would bet that the one station you get is near or fairly powerful. It is probable that the back (which is missing?) had a cobweb antenna built in. Knobs can be found on the internet and the case damage can alleviated with some stain. In my area it might bring $50 to $100 as is. Prettied up and complete it might be worth $150.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. justaguy

justaguy New Member

Thanks all for the help. I posted it for $75 CAD. I'd gladly take $50 too.

My wife's grandmother had quite a few actual valuable items at one point. She served in WWII for Poland, along with her husband. She had lots of albums of them around North Africa and Europe.

She had some war medals, coin, books and stamps, etc. Most notably, according to the stories, a couple of Hitler's "belongings" from one of his many hideouts.

Being the generous person that she was, she donated so much of her stuff to libraries, museums and churches a long time ago.

She passed in 2016 at 99 years old and had 36 beneficiaries. Lawyer had quite the time confirming whether many of those listed were still around as many were her peers and lived around small European villages. And some who were around contested the will. The estate was only settled a few months ago.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Bronwen likes this.
  10. FishLure

FishLure FishN Ephemera

Is that style of cabinet " Art Deco "?

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

A "Tombstone" cabinet radio ....the capacitors dry out and can short and cause a fire , so be careful..... I have a beautiful 1939 Zenith desk size with wooden knobs, and the west coast radio Guru wants $275 to rebuild the chassis , so it will remain a huge paper weight for now. Sad the old guys who used to work on these are dropping like flys, they just sold a huge lot of items from a San Francisco tv and radio repairman who is in his 90's and worked out of his house / business forever .... I used to own a tube machine like you used to see in the drug stores and a couple of suitcase repair man tube testers. I also had a huge RCA cabinet radio that was top of the line in it's day and looked like a huge wooden Mack Truck grill.....so neat !

LauraGarnet02 and FishLure like this.
  12. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Just picked up one of those Zenith desktops myself. Wooden knobs are expensive to replace if you use the real thing. I lucked out big time and it only needed one tube replaced. I have a tester and about 5000 tubes in my basement, so it was no problem to switch out. IMG_8918.jpg

FishLure and LauraGarnet02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted