Featured Rainbow tarnish

Discussion in 'Silver' started by KSW, Mar 7, 2019.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Just a musing- Does tarnish that appears in rainbow hues affect silver plate more than solid silver?. Apologies if it's an ignorant question.

2. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I've been curious about that, too :)

yourturntoloveit, KSW, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Really interesting article; even tells you how to minimize discoloration of yolk in hard boiled eggs.

While we were all worrying about the effect of bovine flatulence on global warming, I confess I had not previously been concerned about this source of tarnishing gas:

People (intestinal gas emissions containing hydrogen sulfide)

5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Fantastic! I'll now ask my man to carry my pieces which need to be patinated in his boxer:joyful::hilarious:

Jivvy, scoutshouse, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Lol, it's amazing how quickly this forum can go off piste!

Great article, I now know how tarnish is formed and I presume from that although it doesn't mention silver plate that it makes no difference?.

7. i need help

I’m just assuming there is a different reflective effect, because silverplate has a base metal underneath.

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Without going back to reread, think it mentions that sterling tarnishes faster than plate because the higher the copper content, the more prone to tarnish, & that silver used to plate is higher silver content than sterling.

9. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

In the coin world tarnish is called toning.

In the US silver coins with rainbow toning fetch a premium.

US 90% silver coins like the 19th century Morgan Dollar used to naturally tone because of their copper alloy and the fact that they were wrapped in sulfur / sulphur infused brown paper rolls.

The premium on rainbow toning has resulted in many US sellers/ dealers, faking the toning by using eggs, banana skin inside brown paper bags, placing coins inside potato's and baking them.
    Placing coins in sealed containers along with matches.
    This is called AT (Artificial Toning)

Some US sellers get carried away and advertise them as "Monster Toned"
    Its all baloney in my eyes.

In the UK, Victorian 92.5% (Sterling ) silver coins did not achieve the same amount of natural toning because of the conditions they were stored in and some variations in alloys.

Hardly anyone if anyone at all fakes tarnish / toning on coins in the UK because collectors over here and probably the rest of the world don't give a rats ass about it.

I know of two other ways of tarnishing silver coins and any other silver for that matter.

#1 is burying the item in yellow sulphur powder, an hour will turn the coin, the longer it is left the darker it goes.

#2 Is paint the item with "Gun Blue" and rinse off after a few hours.

10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Interesting re the coins and the rapid tarnish methods!
    So,just to come back to the start, am I right in thinking now that rainbow tarnish will appear on both plate and solid silver equally, just that the solid will tarnish quicker than the plate?

scoutshouse and i need help like this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have an 1815 silver piece that has not tarnished in 30 years, next to it I have a silver piece from 1977 which tarnishes in 3 weeks. They are in the same cabinet next to each other. I have no idea why some silver tarnishes and some don't. All I know is it seems that the older the silver the less tarnish it becomes. I am polishing silver every week most of it newer stuff.
    greg

12. daveydempsey

In my opinion it depends in what conditions the item is kept in, dampness, pollution etc.

I once bought a picture frame containing several British silver Crowns, Victoria, George III, William IV, George V.
    They were rainbow toned on the exposed side and shiny silver on inside.
    The frame had hung in a pub for about 40 years and was exposed to daily tobacco smoke.

13. i need help

Silverplate is only millimeters of coating. It also have a different chemical make up. Over time as some gets worn away from polishing, I think the interference colors present differently, if I’m understanding it correctly.

scoutshouse and KSW like this.
  14. daveydempsey

Here is one of the said tobacco rainbow toned Crowns.
    This one is 50% silver

gv.PNG

Here is a much younger Canadian 80% silver coin, found in a rusty tin.

ct.PNG

15. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Heavy silver plate is only .040mm and the plating is done with 925 or 999 silver.

scoutshouse and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted