Featured Ramsey & Bros. Coin Silver Large Ladle

Discussion in 'Silver' started by drg642, Jan 15, 2022.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

This is a soup or punch ladle, about 10 inches long, 108 grams, marked Ramsey & Bro. I believe this is coin silver by a Louisville, KY maker from what I have seen on-line. There are a few spots that I could not polish out, and that gives me pause. I did not go at them with gusto, as I don't want to leave polish marks.

I wonder if it is actually silver plated? My gut says coin silver with maybe some spots from age/food stains? I know I have had sterling with spots that are near impossible to hand polish out. That said, while I've handled a lot of sterling and plate, I don't have much experience with coin silver, so don't know if these type of surface spots are normal. Thank you for your opinions.
    ram1.JPG ram2.JPG ram3.JPG ram4.JPG ram5.JPG ram6.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Does not have the "look" of plated to me. Coin is often thin in my limited experience ( I do have some ) and light weight in comparison to solid sterling. Do you have any piece of sterling in a similar size to compare with?

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

I've had some coin silver teaspoons that were thin, light weight, and flexible. This is heavy compared to them. It feels quite sturdy, with just a little flexibility.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  4. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

I believe it's a soup ladle. A ladle for a punchbowl would be more deeply curved and maybe longer, as a punch bowl is deeper than a tureen. Also, a punch ladle would have more of a pouring lip on either side.

Born2it and Figtree3 like this.
  5. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thank you both for you comments.

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You did a great job polishing as much as you could.

7. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thanks Figtree. I would like to sell it, but I hate selling things I am unsure of. I could say I think it's coin silver, but I'm not sure, use your own judgement blah,blah,blah, but I just don't like doing that. On the other hand, I imagine a collector of Ramsey coin silver would know exactly what this is or isn't.

bercrystal and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted