Featured Raphael Tuck & Sons Dickens Calendar for 1896 - sell on ebay

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Bookahtoo, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I acquired this calendar recently and want to put it up for sale on ebay.
    I have found one copy - on ABEbooks. The seller is asking $150 and theirs is missing a page. I have been unable to find any completed sales.
    I am not a fan of auctions on ebay, but am thinking of starting it at $199.00 on a 7 day auction. What do you think?

smallDSCN2541.JPG

smallDSCN2544.JPG
    smallDSCN2546.JPG

smallDSCN2547.JPG

2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I think that is a good plan. Start it out at the least you are willing to take and see where it goes.
    Good Luck.

Bronwen likes this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I don't know offhand how collectible these are, and I'd imagine you aren't sure, either. That's the auction gamble on something like this.

I would recommend a high BIN without a best offer for a week to test the waters. See how many hits you get. If you get a ton, then you may be able to gamble on an auction with a lower starting bid.

My personal opinion is, if your starting bid is 199.00, you're going to alienate a fair share of potential bidders, whereas, if you go much lower, you could get ppl into a p*ssing match at the end.

But it is a gamble, and is somewhat predicated on what you paid for the item (and I wouldn't disclose on a public forum).

Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Bookahtoo

Thanks pearls and sabre.

I think your idea, pearls, is what people here generally suggest, and it's a good suggestion.

Sabre - I guess I worried about alienating people with a high BIN, but you're probably right, I'd alienate just as many with a high auction start. What would you consider a high BIN for this?

Bronwen, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Whichever way you go, remember, YOURS IS Complete!!!! Best of luck!!!! What you've shown is VERY COOL!!!!!!!!!!:happy::happy::happy::singing::singing:

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  6. sabre123

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  7. sabre123

pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

high.....is not unreasonable ...if it's worth the money !!!:happy::happy:;)

Bronwen, pearlsnblume and sabre123 like this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I have an 1890s calendar from Germany. Only 7 months. I've had it marked at $20 a page or $125 for all. I have had a few lookers, but no takers or offers.

Mine is not Dickens, but young ladies.
    There are Dickens collectors, so I would stress that.

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Or $365 - a dollar a day. :joyful:

komokwa and sabre123 like this.
  11. Bookahtoo

I acquired this in a huge ephemera lot I bought from our friend Bronwen. DH drove up to Manhattan the other day, double parked, he and Bronwen loaded up the car, and he drove straight back to Central MA to my store (with a short stop at the house), where I was eagerly waiting. Yes, I owe him big time, I know. ;)

The quantity and quality of the collection is phenomenal. I am in my glory and will be occupied with it for months.

DS#2 came up last night and took his pick of the trade cards and advertising items. He was also in his glory. He's lucky I love him - I tend to hold onto things for a long time if I really like them, before I am done enjoying them and am ready to sell.

The majority of the collection is vintage and antique valentines. There is amazing stuff here that I've never seen before. I promise I'll show you some of them soon.

So anyway, as wonderful as this calendar is, it's something out of the trove that I feel like I can let go of right away.

judy, Figtree3, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  12. sabre123

In that case, maybe toss a best offer on a BIN?

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

What?
    No Cameo's ????
    :playful:

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bookahtoo

Yup - sounds good - as soon as I can force myself to go take more photos.

And thanks for the reminder about the illustrator Frances Brundage, Sabre. I was unaware of her before yesterday, and apparently she is very popular.

judy, bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
  15. Bronwen

Book's heroic husband carried & loaded. I just held the apartment door open. He had to compete for the stairs with workmen doing demolition in the building, but they had the building's front door propped open, so I didn't even have to go down to get that one.

judy, bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  16. Bronwen

It was 5 storage tubs of stuff as it was. Book has no time for cameos right now.

judy, bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  17. Bookahtoo

No time, and no desire! :) It's paper I love, love, love!!!

judy, Figtree3, bercrystal and 3 others like this.
  18. Bronwen

There was also the buyer's premium to take into account:

A buyer's premium of 20% will be applied to all purchases. Maybe $240 was just too much. It would be interesting to know what the minimum opening bid was.

judy and sabre123 like this.
  19. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Awesome calendar, Book!

Bronwen likes this.
  20. Bookahtoo

Thanks Bakersgma!

judy and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted