Rare gold antique? What it’s meanings for gestures and emblem

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Jake Australia, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

And the crossed implements under the piece are Dorjes. Beautiful little buddha!

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Dorje is the Tibetan name for vajra, which is the more internationally used Sanskrit term I used in the beginning of this thread.
    Although it looks that way, the symbol is not two crossed dorje/vajras, but it is one piece with four ends. It is called the Vishvavajra.
    The Vishvavajra is one of the most powerful symbols in Vajrayana Buddhism, it stands for the four winds and the powers that created the physical unverse. It also ensures harmony between all sides and between the worldly and the spiritual.
    On the base of a statue it serves to ground a heavenly being and connect its essence with sentient beings.

I thought I had a photo of mine, and it is too dark here now to take one. I hope I will remember tomorrow.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Scads of free online tools, just google: free online image compressor

I've tried this one and it worked fine: https://compressimage.toolur.com/

4. Any Jewelry

Found the photo and one of a Vajra/Dorje as well.
    This is a Vajra (Tibetan, so a Dorje):

upload_2019-8-27_11-13-4.jpeg

And this is a Vishvavajra (from Nepal), as you can see it is one single piece:
    upload_2019-8-27_11-14-4.jpeg

This last one is like the symbol on the base of the Buddha. It has a different meaning from a vajra/dorje. This one is double though, with extra prongs, which the one on the Buddha doesn't have.

Both are important symbols in Vajrayana Buddhism.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Just looking at some of those words.

Varja
    Vishva-vajra
    Vajra-yana

kyratango and i need help like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Yes, it is all about Vajra.;) The Vajra represents a thunderbolt, it is also called the diamond scepter. It is the symbol of the way enlightenment is reached.

The way is only half of the essence of Vajrayana though. The other half is wisdom, symbolized by the Ghanta or bell. Without wisdom you can try as hard as you want, but you will never reach enlightenment.

[​IMG]

Yana is Sanskrit for vehicle. All forms of Buddhism are named something-yana.
    Vishva is Sanskrit for the universe in its entirety, omnipresent.

kyratango and moreotherstuff like this.