RARE U.S. ARMY DOUBLE SIDED UNCLE SAM "I WANT YOU" METAL RECRUITMENT CENTER SIGN - AGE?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jul 31, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local pawn shop - when he told me $50 I grabbed it - I haven't seen one since I was a teenager in the 70's + when I googled it the only ones I found had already been sold; there were none for sale!
    It measures 25" x 38", is made of metal & it is heavy.
    My only question is does anyone know when these came out? (as I said I know they were around in the 70's but not how long before that did they come out & how long after till they stopped using them?
    Thank you for any info.
    PS - The 2nd sign is brighter - so it must have hung on a wall with 2nd side against wall protecting colors instead of swinging outside with both sides exposed; should I leave as is or is there a way to brighten duller side without hurting it?

COLLECTIBLE SIGN UNCLE SAM I WANT YOU FOR US ARMY 2 SUDED METAL RECRUITMENT SIGN 1AAZZZ.JPG COLLECTIBLE SIGN UNCLE SAM I WANT YOU FOR US ARMY 2 SUDED METAL RECRUITMENT SIGN 2aAA.JPG

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Try 100+ years...... https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-old-almost-everything-about-it-was-borrowed/

Bakersgma and judy like this.
  3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thanks Hollyblue - I knew Flagg created the poster but don't know it was that old. But I don't think they made these metal signs for recruitment centers in WWI? I thought it'd be between around the Vietnam era when the draft started?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    judy likes this.
  4. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

But if there is a draft then wouldn’t the recruitment posters be less common?

Draft saved Draft deleted