Featured Real (?) Antique Apothecary Jar

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Dec 24, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

What interested me about this piece was its weight. It is a heavy - 4 lbs 10 ozs somewhat squat lidded jar that is 9 3/4 inch tall and 5 1/4 inch diameter at it's widest point. It is unadorned except bubbles in its top and without a maker's mark. The top has wavy lines that I'm guessing were the result of the glass being poured into the mold. It seems to me to be more commercial and utilitarian than household. I bought it to serve the function of consolidating sea shells from my years as a vacation beach comber.
    In doing research, this 10 ribbed shape keeps coming up as an antique apothecary jar. For example:
    Antique apothecary jar general store candy jar | Etsy
    Now I realize this just might be fanciful marketing from sellers, so I thought I would ask you all. Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

IMG_8363.jpg IMG_8364.jpg IMG_8365.jpg IMG_8366.jpg IMG_8368.jpg IMG_8370.JPG

TallCakes, i need help and sabre123 like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Does it exhibit any wear?

If this was used for its purpose in a commercial setting it will show wear on the bottom rim from being slid on a counter, and possibly on the lid rim from being opened and closed thousands of times.

It's still a nice jar.

James.

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

The lid rim has a chip. It has skid marks on the bottom.

judy likes this.
  4. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

cxgirl, i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

6. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

cxgirl, i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Tall Cakes. Thanks so much. I have been looking at these since @Bdigger found the similarity. All I saw were colored ones. Maybe that's because the clear ones don't sell as well. Most appreciated that you take the time to look at this and track down the pattern.

8. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Happy holidays to all. We have several of that jar in various sizes on the kitchen counter IMG_7714.jpg . They are heavy indeed, and I thought possibly from the 1920's.

komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for your photo. The middle one seems like the one I have. Heavy is the operative word here in my mind too. I've been trying to figure out the weight of the Indiana Glass pieces, but no one so far has given that on their sales sites. Mine feels far too heavy to be a modern decorative object. Now I can buy a reproduction, but they are all colored, frosted, etc. Happy Holidays to you. I'm jealous you have three in different sizes.

10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

here is an Indiana 11 1/2" 'crystal glass the jar' in the box. Looking on replacements, they made different sizes. Hard to tell weight from photos, but they look to be pretty heavy pieces. The Ebay listing is active, maybe ask the seller what the weight is? Not the same size as yours but might give you an idea if they are by the same maker:)
    Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 2.35.06 PM.png

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Ind...682012?hash=item262aac251c:g:yH8AAOSwQApdueLV

https://www.replacements.com/crystal-indiana-glass-ing3-clear/c/274833

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

Great research. I kept coming across the colored and frosted ones even though my search terms included clear glass. I'll ask the seller. Ooops It had ended. Thank you

12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

sorry, I linked to wrong listing. If you search Ebay there is one running.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

Okay. I’ll track it down. Thank you. I sent him a message. We'll see if he responds.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
  14. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Its a real jar, made to sell to home owners. Apothocary is up to the user. NOT AN ANTIQUE, not of value.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks so much for looking at my jar. I appreciate your information.

Draft saved Draft deleted