Featured Real Coral or Fake?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by syed21188, Feb 18, 2021.

1. syed21188

syed21188 New Member

Hello, I have this rosary which I purchased. Supposedly Italian origin. Wondering if this is real vs fake.

Thank you in advance.

upload_2021-2-18_12-47-26.png

upload_2021-2-18_12-47-41.png

upload_2021-2-18_12-47-54.png

upload_2021-2-18_12-48-7.png

upload_2021-2-18_12-48-22.png

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks real
    looks dyed..

3. syed21188

syed21188 New Member

Thank you for your response. So I am assuming if I use acetone (nail polish remover) and scrub it really hard with nothing on qtip, then its real?

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and judy like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know what that would do, but it's rarely recommended. It's definitely real white coral. Someone in China (most likely) dyed it red. They're some sort of prayer beads but not a rosary. Those are Catholic beads strung in five groups of 10 with a single bead by itself between each group. A rosary also has a crucifix dangling from another set of 3 beads, and that hangs from what's known as a Miraculous Medal. This set looks Islamic or Buddhist.

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Then it's not dyed.

6. evelyb30

Or it's better dye than it used to be. I've seen both explanations.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Lucashudd11

Lucashudd11 Member

It is bamboo coral and it is dyed. Not all solvents work on all dyes. You can tell it's bamboo coral by the black nodes in between pieces. Coralliidae (red+pink coral) doesn't have that.

Pg. 17-27: https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/data/ocea...NMF4630456_traffic_species_invertebrates9.pdf

I have a string of beads like these that was supposedly used as trade beads and was purchased at a pow-wow. If you really want to test them you should use acetone-free nail remover it's more effective.

coral.JPG

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  8. syed21188

syed21188 New Member

Thank you everyone for you replies.

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  9. syed21188

syed21188 New Member

The black specks are a good point. I will for sure use a acetone free nail remover to check.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  10. Hutchmar

Hutchmar New Member

11. Hutchmar

Hutchmar New Member

The beads look genuine, However this is not a rosary. A rosary is divided into sections, each section reminds the person to say a certain prayer, and in between are dollars vides single beads representing the stations of the cross. There is. Crucifix or cross at the base of the rosary.

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Scrubbing doesn't work, it is best to hold it against the coral for ca 30 seconds.:)
    It is a tasbeh or tesbih, Islamic prayer beads.
    Some people translate tasbeh as rosary, but as you said there is a difference. The word rosary is connected with rose symbolism, which stands for the Virgin Mary.

reader and KSW like this.
  13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi AJ,
    I was always taught that rosary was named for the roses that they were first made from. I have my great aunts rosary that she made as a child. It is made from crushed rose petals.
    greg

reader, Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

syed, I just looked at the prices of these coral tasbehs, I must say, the price alone is an indication that it isn't Italian (Mediterranean red) coral.;)

reader likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Hi Greg.:)
    The first rosaries, or prayer ropes, were knotted cords. Later the knots were replaced by (precious) stones, prayer beads.
    The rose connection came when St Dominic received the first real rosary from the Virgin Mary when she appeared to him in the early 13th century.

reader likes this.
  16. evelyb30

The rose petal ones do turn up every so often, usually at a crazy-sounding price. I got one not long ago. but it smells less of roses than old lady perfume.

reader likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted