Featured Real? or Fake?? Royal Dux

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by SarahLeta, Jul 6, 2017.

1. SarahLeta

SarahLeta New Member

I have this Royal Dux figurine of Boy with Setter. It once belonged to my great grandparents. There are a couple reasons I am uncertain if it is authentic(which would be a surprise to the family).

The main reason is the pink triangle is missing, but there is a pink spot on the bottom that looks like it may have once been there (top right of the stamped numbers, and Made in Czechzovakia) The second reason is the quality of the facial features. The quality looks poor compared to most Royal Dux figures I've looked at online.

On the positive side, there is a triangle sticker with a D. The finish of the figure is a soft velvety finish, which makes me wonder if it is older, and maybe would of had an E in the maker mark. But I am as novice as it gets when it comes to antiques. Any advice and input is really appreciated!!

Thanks!! I have another post in this same category too. A beautiful statue of a cherub drinking water.

20170613_180947.jpg 20170613_181039 (1).jpg 20170615_195709.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Joshua Brown likes this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I see much reason to doubt its authenticity. Royal Dux produced a wide variety of items in a wide variety of finishes. It's not unusual to find a piece in a matte glaze and the same piece in a shiny finish. The color palette looks right. And I can't imagine going to all the trouble to reproduce a Royal Dux piece and leaving off the pink triangle. Have you tried researching the impressed numbers on the bottom? I can't quite read them. And please add size. I'm assuming it's about 12" x 12". Thank you. You can also check on Royal Dux's Facebook page and see if someone at the company can assist you.
    Don

4. SarahLeta

SarahLeta New Member

scoutshouse likes this.
  5. SarahLeta

SarahLeta New Member

The numbers are 2867 15 and 53 is written. It is approx 12" tall 10" wide. Thanks for your reply

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I think we have a winner. A search of Royal Dux 2867 brings up several examples of your boy and his dog (and in several colors and finishes). I can understand your concern about the pink triangle but it most likely fell off or, for some strange reason, was intentionally removed.
    Don

7. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

I hope I'm not hijacking SaraLeta's post, and am confident she has the real thing. I have these "Made in Czechoslovakia" dogs and have always assumed the same artist created a hunting dog range that became the Dux dogs. There are similarities in collars, etc. These first dogs of mine seem quite unusual in that their heads are raised, whereas the others are common and ghastly modern ones persist. But the second lot of dogs is signed. I can't get a better photo and have done my best enhancing -- maybe Schurert or Schurera? P1060573.jpg P1060574.jpg P1060576.jpg P1060575.jpg P1060577.jpg

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

A bit more research produces: "Porcelain figurine "Two hunting dogs". Artist/Maker: Royal Dux, H. Schubert Place and Date of Production: Bohemia (Czech Republic), 1920s." Maybe Mr Shubert made them all?

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

More likely the mold was made from an original sculpture. Beautiful piece!
    Don

scoutshouse and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted