Featured really in need for some help on this one! - interesting wooden sculpture

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Irenka, Oct 12, 2022.

1. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!
    I have a really interesting statue, with an even more interesting story..
    Few days ago I got a call from an older lady. She told me, that she had a statue, that she dont want anymore. Because of her mother passing, she rented out her apartment. She did not want the statue to remain in the apartment. She went to several antique dealers near her, but no one wanted to take the statue. It seems to me that no one even knew what it was about, or that the lady didn't even show them the pictures, only described what it was about. She called me all desperate, if maybe we would take it, to give it to us for free just so it doesn't go in the trash. Apparently, the lady is not too sentimental because the statue belonged to her grandfather, who was an architect and was said to have brought it when he was working somewhere.

After the call, I was a little skeptical as to whether it was even worth going to see the statue, mainly because she said that no one wanted him. But curiosity got the better of me..and i am glad that it did. Even glader that no one wanted him! What a shame for those guys to miss the opurtunity and what kind of luck that we got it!

The statue is supposed to represent Saint Andrew and i think that this is the oldest thing that we owen. But i dont know so i really need your thoughts on this one.. If this was her grandfather statue it must be at least 200hundred years old ? Or not.. i really cant guess and i even dont know where to look to find any similar one...

The statue is missing some parts obviusly, but i think that it would be pittful to repair it, just leave it the way it is... what do you all think ? Some repair or nothing just some dusting ? ..and why do you think no one wanted it ?

Statue is wooden, 60cm in height...

I am really curios what do you all think of it, if i discover that it isnt old or valuable i wont be upset :D because we got it some what free..ok we did gave the lady some eurous but she was just glad that someone wanted it and that it found the new home where it will be appreciate like it was appreciate by her grandfather.. and in my eyes the statue is really glourious and beautiful, i think that it was put a lot of effort and time in it and i really appreciate the hand who made it.

I still cant belive what a coincidence and luck in the same time...

I am really looking to all of your thoughts on this one...

Sory for the long post and broken english :D and thanks to anyone who will found time for me and saint Andrew :)
    DSC_4208 (Small).JPG DSC_4209 (Small).JPG DSC_4210 (Small).JPG DSC_4207 (Small).JPG DSC_4210 (Small).JPG DSC_4214 (Small).JPG DSC_4218 (Small).JPG DSC_4219 (Small).JPG

Born2it, dude, lovewrens and 8 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, it certainly appears to be an antique religious carving that was once polychromed. (One can still see the traces of red paint.) It could well be St. Andrew as he's often depicted in that posture on the cross of his martyrdom. (Here he is in the Vatican, for instance.) It should be left as is without repair. In what country did the architect work?

Debora

saint-andrew-statue-basilica-vatican-27711836.jpg

dude, kyratango, kentworld and 3 others like this.
  3. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

[QUOTE=" In what country did the architect work?

][/QUOTE]

In Slovenia... ok when he was alive it wasnt Slovenia :D but in this area..

dude, kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Oh and yes he was polychrome and gilded because gilding is seen in cracks...

dude, Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    dude, KSW, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  6. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

How i didnt thought on that ! Thank you very much Debora!

dude and kyratango like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Your St Andrew is beautiful, and imo he was made around the same time as the Bernini St Andrew Debora posted, so 17th century.

Leave him as he is, but apply some Renaissance Wax to preserve him. Renaissance Wax is developed by the British Museum, and it is available through the internet, just google Renaissance Wax.:)
    If he lived 200 years ago, it would have been the Austro-Hungarian empire. He may have worked outside Slovenia.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    dude, Irenka, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

dude likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That's a wonderful object. And yes, only wax.

Born2it, dude, johnnycb09 and 4 others like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

It dawned on me, maybe they thought he had woodworm? Tap him gently and see if any dust falls out, like very fine sawdust.

These old statues can also have old wormholes, from woodworm that lived over a hundred years ago. If there is no dust, he is safe.:)

Born2it, dude, KSW and 3 others like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Certainly not earlier than 17th century.

Debora

dude, KSW, Irenka and 2 others like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Agree. During the period quite a few Italian artists went to work in Slovenia. Since the style looks Italian inspired, maybe he was made by one of those artists.

dude, KSW, Irenka and 2 others like this.
  13. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Since the back is relatively flat, this St. Andrew (I think I can imagine his arms around a cross), was part of a larger statue or even group that was mounted on a church wall. Lovely carving, and I agree that this statue's history is displayed in its present state -- just preserve what you have now. I'm glad the woman worked so hard to have it saved from the trash.

Born2it, dude, Aquitaine and 5 others like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

So can I.
    Agree.
    He is really wonderful quality, and from an esthetic viewpoint it doesn't matter that bits are missing. He survived, when many were lost in fires etc.

Born2it, dude, Aquitaine and 4 others like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes. Wonderfully expressive. And certainly holds his own outside of his original setting.

Debora

Born2it, dude, johnnycb09 and 4 others like this.
  16. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

He is fantastic! What a luck to have get it for free and above all saving him.:woot:

Born2it, Any Jewelry, dude and 5 others like this.
  17. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Yes a wonderful thing. Always amazes me to think something has so much age and history

Any Jewelry, dude, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  18. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

I thought on wax, here we have special store that mix stuff for restavration and they have Renaissance wax and fortunatly i alredy have it at home :)

Fortunatly he hasnt got any woodworm holes :) but maybe i should check him closer, i only got him yesterday, but i was so excided that i had to share it with you all!

YES! I was thinking the same it has that Michelangelo vibe to it..

He has holes (holes for joints not woodwarm :D )all over, so it is a very good guess that he was on cross or maybe even in a larger groups of statues... And i am glad too that the lady didnt gave up on him so easy..

I am also happy that her grandfather saw value and beauty in him... i am guessin that they were repairing alter in a church and they want to put him in trash or even sadder in fire and he saved him so he is a true hero!

Born2it, Any Jewelry, dude and 6 others like this.
  19. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

When i began with antiquing i was only hoping that i could ever have bought something like that, and stuff like this are what make me keep doing it with passion, to save something like that is just a dream come true and i can only hope that i will be this lucky again sometime in the future.

20. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

And of course, I am awestruck at the talent and ability that some artist/carver had some 200 or so years ago to carve that beautiful piece of art!!! Kudos for you, @Irenka on going to your neighbor/friend!!!!:singing::singing::singing: It HAD to be SAVED!! Thank YOU!!

Draft saved Draft deleted