Featured Recession Looming? Impacts On The Market For Antiques & Collectables?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Hello,

Lot of people out there are speculating about a sharp economic recession in the early 2019.

If the economy does perform negatively there will likely be (a.) some collectors that will need to liquidate their holdings as well as (b.) fewer buyers with discretionary income to spare to purchase those goods. So prices realized for antiques and collectables should see at least see some negative impact if the economy takes a sizable hit for an extended period of time.

Thrift shops and resellers of used goods should do relatively well as they did in the previous recession. Well positioned buyers should be able to snag a few fire sale deals.

Your Thoughts?

Happy!, pearlsnblume, Sandra and 2 others like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't suppose there are many who think this way, but I believe you can frequently get better value for your money (certainly in terms of durability) buying old than buying new.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

instability is the word of the day...........I have yet to see any forecast of prosperity & good times for 2019.

Joe2007, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's especially true with brown wood these days; it's going for pennies and I don't see the market improving. Someone at an estate sale this morning bought a used hutch for a lot less than its original price 10 years ago. Twice what it was worth, but that's another story. Meanwhile, better quality brown wood goes begging.

Joe2007, Bronwen, judy and 1 other person like this.
  5. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Sad though that folks might have to liquidate their collections :( ... Joy.

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Ive cut several thrift shops out of my routine as their prices have gotten ridiculous,and I cant imagine if we have another recession like the last one theyll be able to sustain their markups. So many antique stores and resale shops have closed its hard to find one now. I predict thrifts will too. The last 2 generations seem to be all about everything being brand new,even if its cheap garbage that I dont see that changing anytime soon. There'll always be a niche market for antiques and collectibles as long as our generation is still kicking,but I dont know about 20 years from now. More and more Im seeing recently sought after things gathering dust (you about cant GIVE Royal Doulton ladies away now) and dont get me started on fine crystal or art pottery !

Joe2007, Diggummup, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

We've got some now that call themselves "thriftiques" - trying to justify high prices on some/most merch. They get customers, but I don't buy much. Then again, the Ill Will only really gets good stuff this time of year.

8. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

In the UK we have weathered more than one recession and I haven't seen or heard anything from sellers/dealers at antiques fairs I know personally that they are having problems, maybe it depends on what they sell.
    We haven't stopped buying in past recessions and won't stop if one is looming next year :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Any Jewelry, Joe2007, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Joe, I just want to say that I always appreciate your thought-provoking post topics!

Happy!, Joe2007, Diggummup and 5 others like this.
  10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Here the thrift stores, for the most part are highly overpriced. And things sit.
    I have stopped going to some local ones due to the silly prices.

There are a few thrifts that I can buy things from where the prices are ok.
    But most of my selling stock comes from estate sales, yard sales, garage sales.

I sure hope we don't have another recession.

11. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Best way to start a recession is to go around predicting a recession.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry, smcrae and 8 others like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If you walk with your gaze, always focused downward...
    you'll never see the sunshine.
    But then again..... you'll never step into a pot hole...!
    :):):)......:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:.....;)

Bronwen, Poisonivy, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  13. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Joe, I wouldn’t put to much concern in what the experts say. They just don’t know what amazing or catastrophe is around the corner. They’re like the weathermen, its a 50/50 call and they get paid well for it. But you’ll never hear the experts say “Hey the next 10 years we are going to be flying high”. No one reports perfect airplane landings, there’s just no money in that for them. Creating chaos is a well time tested business plan to shake out the heard. Consider it a modern form of pillaging and looting the local villages, but on a much grander scale. Calmer mind prevail.

If people are not willing to pay overprice thrift store pricing(I am not) than pricing will come down else a new breed of stores will fill in the gap to replace the “Thrift Boutiques” . Law of physics ;). If thing really get out of hand bad, it wont be the markets nor natural ecomonics, it will be deliberately made by our government and the lobbist they work for(highly doubtful), At that time if it ever got to that point, with all due respect, antiquing wont be foremost on our minds.

No, I do not have this figured out by far, no one does, but it’s just my 2¢. Good day to all

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  14. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Joe, you're free to have a recession if that's what you really want

I will choose not to participate

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

so Brexit won't change anything ? especially smaller items under 500 €: I don't see any online seller on the continent that will go through the PITA of customs declaration/ enforced paypal acceptance etc.

Joe2007 and Bronwen like this.
  16. afantiques

the PITA of customs declarations

I don't see them as a problem, but an opportunity to label a thing as being of very little value, whatever the actual sale price. I was so fond of them that I'd put them on stuff that was going to continental Europe and did not need them, just to deter petty thievery.
    The first time I ever saw a customs declaration I thought it was madness to label something as small and valuable so for all my ebay selling career, everything was described as unattractively as possible and valued at $20 or so.

Any Jewelry, Joe2007 and Bronwen like this.
  17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

are you still working with your own insurance system of a few pennies per item into a glass ?

SBSVC and Bronwen like this.
  18. afantiques

I would be but I have retired from ebay selling and indeed from most selling, although I still buy stuff to keep, when permitted by she who must be obeyed.

19. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I don't see it making any difference to me.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  20. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

good for you then. I recently discussed it with a very nice guy who has an antiques shop in Cambridge and whom I sometimes bought arts and crafts stuff. he wasn't so sure, but he will survive because he has family on the continent. thanks to the Commonwealth the rest can still open local branches in interesting places. "The Robert Mugabe Palace Of Real Antiques" sounds good to me.:D

Joe2007, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted