Featured Red Drip Glaze Pitcher - Unmarked

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Oct 7, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I thought this drip glaze pitcher was interesting. Edited based on @blooey feedback. When I picked it up, I was disappointed not to find a mark. So I went in search of how to identify pottery without a mark. I don't know enough to interpret what I found so I thought I would ask all of you.
    1. Clay - the unglazed foot looks reddish to me (see picture)
    2. Weight - It seems heavy at 4 pounds
    3. The foot is completely unglazed and the drips were not cut off
    4. The foot is uneven with a visible mark
    The other information is
    1. Height - 10 inches
    2. Location found - Southern California
    3. Two raised lines circle the upper section
    4. It has some evidence of wear on the handle, the rim and chips on the foot
    I don't think it is some undiscovered treasure, but I would like to learn how to distinguish good pottery versus décor. Any comments would be appreciated.
    IMG_4154.jpg IMG_4155.jpg IMG_4156.jpg IMG_4157.jpg IMG_4158.jpg IMG_4162.jpg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Nice glaze, sang de boeuf, almost perfectly controlled, too bad the base cracked in the firing ..I bet the potter was disappointed. Single glaze by the way.

I believe this type of clay is known as chamotte.

ACP, PortableTreasures, judy and 4 others like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

So that was what happened. Thank you. Oh more information. How exciting. Chamotte. I'll have to google that

4. KikoBlueEyes

So you can add colors on top of other colors without firing the first. I had no idea.

judy likes this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

No, it's just *one* colour (one glaze actually; Sang-de-boeuf can behave like this!)

judy likes this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks so much. I have just looked at images so far after your comment. Not how it works.

judy likes this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

From what I am reading this glaze is hard to do. I can see what you mean about being disappointed.

judy likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Nice glaze (imo). Thanks for the lesson!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted