Red/Ruby Glass: Stain?, Flash?, Age? Country of Origin?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ladybranch, May 30, 2014.

1. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I have 4 red/ruby glass items that I haven't had any luck on IDing. A good year or more ago I posted a query about them on the PGP board with no replies. Going to try again on this forum, but will do a separate query for each item. This first one is flora (fern/cat-o'-nine tails?) motif vase. It is 7 1/8" tall, 2" diameter base, and 2 1/2" flared top. Has a very rough pontil. The glass seems relatively thin and delicate to me. Nowwww, I'm woefully ignorant on this antique glass. I don't know if it is stained or flash. My guess is probably stained, but I would be very surprised if I was right. Is it stained glass? What is the frosted look? Is that from a rough lathe? I really have no provenance for it other than to say I remember it in our home from as early as the mid 1940s. I have no idea where my mother got it. Any and all opinions on age are welcome. Do you think it is American made?

BTW, I have looked through several ruby stained glass catalogs, but they all dealt with pattern glass of which this vase is not. Example: Barret's Popular America Ruby Stained Pattern Glass, Heacock's Encyclopedia of Victorian Colored Pattern Glass, Book 7, Ruby-Stained Glass. In the next few days will post queries on the other items.
    TIA.
    --- Susan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It looks to me like cameo glass. If it does not have a maker's name, that likely indicates that it is modern and from either Romania or China. But wait for other opinions.

3. Ladybranch

Moreother..., thank you for your opinion! I value your opinion. I hadn't thought of cameo glass. It might be, but there isn't any relief. Shouldn't there be with anything cameo? I looked around this evening and found a few other vases that are a bit similar. They seem to be titled 19th century Bohemian ruby frosted blown vases in the same shape as this one with the flared top and tapered neck. Several of them are described as having thin glass as this one. Many of them have a similar red/ruby rim and top of neck. A few were called flash rather than stained. At least one of them used style in reference to Bohemian meaning they really didn't know origin. Again want to stress I am a rank amateur when it comes to this type of glass. Following are a few links to some I found. I don't even know if the owners of them know anymore about this glass than I. Have included close-ups pics.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/541897-GY670/Antique-Victorian-Blown-Glass-Vase

I thought this perfume bottle was interesting. Note it is described as delicate thin glass and "resembles cameo glass." It is
    "From the late 19th century, this is a lovely, delicate (thin-glass) perfume bottle, ruby red flash and frost over clear glass, plus hand-painted gold gilt. This bottle resembles cameo glass. ..."
    http://www.rubylane.com/item/498113-219/Bohemian-Ruby-Red-Flashed-Frosted

http://www.goantiques.com/old-bohemian-frostedruby-1595501

4th down:
    http://antique-oil-lamps.eu/otherantique.htm

--- Susan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

5. spirit-of-shiloh

???? I replied but I can't find it now? Still learning LOL. Pretty vase.

Ladybranch likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Yes, there should be noticeable relief with cameo glass. If the glass was flashed, I would still expect to be able to feel the pattern slightly raised... same with enameling... which leaves staining. I have not encountered any piece similarly decorated. From the shape and the working, it could be Bohemian, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to say. You might check Bristol glass as well.

Ladybranch likes this.
  7. Ladybranch

>I could not find your ruby stained vase <

Thank you for taking the time to look! Your reply throw me for a moment for could only see the top few lines. After a few moments, I finally saw the caption to click to "expand." That's interesting, for it certainly saves space when having a longggg message/reply. How did you do that?

--- Susan

8. Ladybranch

>If the glass was flashed, I would still expect to be able to feel the pattern slightly raised... same with enameling... which leaves staining. <

Hmmmm..... I can't say I can feel a raised design, but the design areas, the ruby color, is smoother than the "frosted" areas. Thank you moreother... for your help!

>same with enameling...<

One of the other ruby glass items I have is a covered ruby bowl that has a roundish frosted area with a ruby bird, ruby nest , ruby butterfly, fine ruby line vine/limb with enamel white floral in it. There are traces of gold trim still visible around the nest, bird and on the vine. You can feel the raised white enamel. Tomorrow I'm going to post a query about it, but too busy this pm. The family is planning a surprise birthday party for me this evening. Of course I don't know about it! With the phone ringing off the hook for everyone but me, and the whispering, it certainly wasn't hard to guess. In a little time I have to get on my surprised expression!

--- Susan

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Hope you were suitably surprised, Susan, and hope you had a very happy b-day!

11. Ezlisting

Ezlisting Member

12. 707susang

707susang Active Member

Happy Birthday, Susan....a day late! I hope you had a very good day.

13. Ladybranch

Thank y'all for the birthday greetings. That day does seem to roll around quicker every year. [​IMG] It really was a great birthday for the family brought in lobsters. I had my Yankee "soul food," steamed lobster - what a treat! At least no one greeted me with the following:

[​IMG]

kentworld likes this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Happy birthday, belatedly! (My only excuse is that I'm on vacation and not checking very often right now.)

15. Ezlisting

Ezlisting Member

Ditto, Happy belated Birthday!!

16. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Back to the original question, (Birthday greeting not withstanding) since the piece is clear on the bottom, the red was applied as a chemical stain, therefore Ruby Stained. (had it been red on the bottom that would have indicated a dip in the red glass pot, making it flashed, covered with a different color glass than its body.)
    Since you say you can't feel the relief, it's probably etched through the stain to the clear glass, leaving the glass acid etched/frosted.

Hope this helps, it may be Bohemian, English or American, probably dating to the first 20 years of the 20th century.

Ladybranch likes this.
  17. spirit-of-shiloh

Happy Belated B-day Susan.

Attached Files:

18. Ladybranch

Thanks bake, ez, shiloh and cherryhill for the birthday wishes! Love the snail 'toon, Shiloh.

>... since the piece is clear on the bottom, the red was applied as a chemical stain, therefore Ruby Stained. (had it been red on the bottom that would have indicated a dip in the red glass pot, making it flashed, covered with a different color glass than its body.) Since you say you can't feel the relief, it's probably etched through the stain to the clear glass, leaving the glass acid etched/frosted. ... Hope this helps...<

Thank you, Cherryhill! The easy to understand explanation of the difference between stained and flashed and what this vase is, is very much appreciated by this olddddd lady. Thank you for the help!!!

--- Susan

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted