Featured Rediscovering an amazing piece of jewelry?? French 18k bracelet?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, May 2, 2020.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

A few years ago when I was relatively new to jewelry I bought this bracelet because I had seen some weird markings on the clasp but never took a loupe to them. After I had bought it for $2.00 I immediately took it to a snobby higher end jewelry store and the rude guy there told me it wasn't marked 14k or anything and he didn't want to waste acid testing it. Obviously defeated I just put it in a box full of junk. Well just today I was sifting through junk to find something to sell on ebay and I happened to stumble across this bracelet again. Curious I took my own loupe to the mystery marks and low and behold they are the mark for French 18k used since 1839.... Now with that said the bracelet is marked twice, once on the clasp and once on the actual bracelet part. However, I noticed a few spots on the bracelet where it looks like the metal changes color? If you click on the second picture you can see on one of the fourth link that the metal changes to a silver color, almost like wearing down like gold fill? It's weird and I'm not sure what to make of it.. What do you all think? I am going to try and have it electronically tested if I can.
    20200502_163729_resized.jpg 20200502_163750_resized.jpg 20200502_163819_resized.jpg 20200502_163926_resized.jpg

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I cannot help with the bracelet, but wanted to sympathize about rude jewelers. My first one hated anything he didn't sell to me! Totally unhelpful!

3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Watch chain...

~Cheryl

4. spartcom5

It may have been a watch chain but it is incredibly short and the one end has no clasp....

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It does look like a watch chain missing bits. Why don't you provide us with the length?

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. DragonflyWink

I used to wear a nice gold watch chain as a bracelet, but it was still a watch chain (if it's long enough for a bracelet, it's long enough for a watch chain).

~Cheryl

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Agree with the above. This is a watch chain. However, if you can wear it as a bracelet, do so. It is very nice looking.

Your chain is missing the bar and the shorter piece that had the fob.

upload_2020-5-2_20-18-36.png

This shows different watch chains. Believe yours would be considered an Albert chain. These are new, not old.
    https://www.pocketwatches.com/accessories-c185/pocket-watch-chains-c216

8. spartcom5

Is there any nifty way I can shorten it just a bit to wear as a bracelet? I dont want to take links out or anything.... right now as is it's a tad long

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Is there anyway that you can hook it through the middle of one of the rings?
    Getting it to hook will be easy. It's going to be hard to get off with that clasp.
    upload_2020-5-2_22-23-41.png

Or maybe get a large jump ring and put it through the ring, then hook to the jump ring.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

powerlifting.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beauty, spart, and 100% watch chain. I have no reason to believe the marks aren't legit.
    Continental watch chains didn't always have fobs btw, so not all watch chains had an extra fob chain.
    Here in the Netherlands some people had an extra chain with a watch key and a signet, but no decorative fobs. That extra chain etc is usually seen with traditional costumes, not with regular (city) dress.
    Buy a nice watch and the bar for the other end of the chain, and wear it as a watch chain.;) My brother has our great-uncle's gold watch and chain and wears it on festive and formal occasions. It looks great.

Darkwing Manor and DragonflyWink like this.
  12. DragonflyWink

A French chain would more likely have a large spring-ring rather than a toggle - may or may not have had a fob/charm...

From a 1913 Savard & Fils catalog (gold-filled):

frenchwatchchains1913savardfils.JPG

These are all also gold-filled rather than solid gold:

frenchwatchchaingoldfilled-1.JPG

frenchwatchchaingoldfilled-3.JPG

frenchwatchchaingoldfilled-4.JPG

~Cheryl

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    komokwa, KSW, Darkwing Manor and 4 others like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

True, the same as Dutch watch chains.

Msalicia and DragonflyWink like this.
  14. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

On first look, I had no idea this was a watch fob! ;) Thank you all!
    Shame on the jeweler for not knowing or not telling you... :confused:

Msalicia and Darkwing Manor like this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Just send all your 'junk' to me Spart! A joblot will do just fine to take it off your hands:hilarious:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind a piece of "junk" like that! Dunno about you, but I'll take that sort of costume jewelry any day all day.

Draft saved Draft deleted