Featured Reference books

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Peter T Davis, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

I have been asked on many occasions for recommendations for reference books pertaining to my areas of expertise. Following are a list of books available for purchase that I feel are important for collectors and dealers alike. These are valuable reference books that every collector and dealer should have in their libraries. Most of the books are new. Some are out of print and very difficult to obtain. When those are sold out, they’re gone.

Packing, shipping and insurance are additional. Sales tax is due on any item shipped within New York State or to the states of New Jersey and Connecticut at your local rate. Payment may be made by wire transfer, cashier’s check or money order. At this time, I cannot accept credit cards for the purchase of books. Personal checks are fine, but will delay shipping by one week. International buyers are welcome.

Tiffany at Auction by Alistair Duncan. The most important reference book available on Tiffany glass and lamps. Important section of original black & white photos from Tiffany Studios + index of original Tiffany numbers and corresponding descriptions. Used. Excellent condition. Only 2 available. 348 pages.

Louis C. Tiffany’s Glass Bronzes Lamps by Robert Koch. One of the three most important reference books on the works of Louis Tiffany. It is an essential reference for Tiffany collectors and dealers. This book went out of print and was then reprinted. It is out of print again. Only a few available. 208 pages.

Louis Icart The Complete Etchings by Holland, Catania, and Isen. The most complete book on Icart etchings. All color. Revised 3rd edition contains several previously unknown works. Essential for Icart dealers and collectors. 262 pages.

Louis Icart. Published in Japan in 1987. Written in Japanese and English. Vivid photography of many Icart etchings and the BEST section of full color photographs of original Icart oil paintings and pastels in any book whatsoever. Out of print, only a few available. Softcover. 158 pages.

The Martin Brothers Potters by Malcolm Haslam. The definitive book on the great English stoneware of the Martin Brothers including many photographs of fabulous bird tobacco jars, spoon warmers, vases, etc. Color and black and white. Very difficult to find this book. Only a few available. 174 pages.

French Cameo Glass by Berniece and Henry Blount. One of the best general books available on French cameo glass. All color photography and a great section on signatures. Out of print, but a few available, bought new directly from the author several years ago. 160 pages.

2. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

Please post your favorite references here and I'll add it to the list.

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. joseph

joseph New Member

Peter, How do I post a question?

Christmasjoy and Joshua Brown like this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Hello Joseph.
    Go to the relevant section of the forum to which you wish to post, if its a Silver question then click "Silver", or Glass question then click "Glass" etc, at the top of the section there is a shaded area marked " Post New Thread"

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's rich !:hilarious:

Revenant, lloyd249 and Joshua Brown like this.
  6. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Top 5 books used:
    1. Bradbury's book of hallmarks (because there is often a silver item in lots bought)
    2. Encyclopedia of British Pottery & Porcelain Marks (Godden- still useful despite the internet)
    3. British Studio Potters Marks (Yates Owen & Fournier - identifying studio pottery can be a nightmare but can be surprisingly rewarding)
    4. British Tea & Coffee cups (Steven Goss - a Shire booklet and I wish I had a better book! Recommendations please! Used to get an approximate date based on cup and handle shapes)
    5. Collectable clocks (Shenton- recent addition and just beginning to be used regularly)

popsycat and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks, rhiwfield! I am not home right now but will come back to post my top five books. Mine are mostly related to genealogy, photography, identifying people in old photos, and some jewelry.

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. KevinTN

KevinTN Member

Here are mine:
    [​IMG]

axelrich likes this.
  9. Annpan

Annpan Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Not strictly a reference book but I have a copy of the Connoisseur's complete period guides to the houses, decoration, furnishing and chattels of the classic periods from 1968. It feels like it weighs the same as a dozen bricks.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks for posting, Annpan -- I see that I was going to post a list and never did. And now I'm again not in a place to do that. Will try later.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

A book I have found invluable over the years is "Marks and monograms" the decorative arts 1880-1960. By Malcolm Haslam, published by Collins and Brown.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Silver and gold marks of the world is also a useful book.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

For the category of political collectables I recommend the reference books by Ted Hake. A bit dated but still lots of great insights.
    hakes campaign collectables.jpg

the blacksmith likes this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

For woven baskets.....in case you stumble upon some....
    This is part of one of my old eBay guides....

I've bought and sold fine authentic North American Native baskets on Ebay for several years.It's my business to know what to look for . I have several good books ( like, Indian Baskets by Lobb, and Indian Baskets by Turnbaugh & Turnbaugh..) that have helped hone my eye so that even poor photos of good baskets don't escape my attention. Knowing which baskets are authentic is very important , but identifying those made in other countries is just as important. It's not possible to be an expert on all baskets from everywhere , but there's one book I've found, specially if you're a buyer, that you must have ! It could save you hundreds and possibly thousands of dollars by helping you turn a blind eye to eBay listings claiming,'found with many other Indian art works', or 'given to my late mother by a native elder' or 'from the estate of a man who collected native art', or 'tribe unknown'.

"Art of the Basket" by Brian Sentance, has allowed me to identify hundreds of baskets being sold on ebay that were made around the world and have nothing what so ever to do with American 1st Nations people, but were listed as such ,in very compelling terms. Many sellers , even honest ones are hoping that the $5 garage sale basket they bought will turn out to be a $500 ebay sale. They're also hoping that you won't know the difference. Well now you will ! This one book can make all the difference between an authentic Native weaving collection and a assortment of lovely African,Indonesian,Chinese and European basket work.

While it's not the only book to have , if it is the only book you do have , it'll be enough to turn you away from buying Chinese rush baskets being sold as Nootka weaving, African baskets being sold as Eskimo , Rawandan Tutsi baskets being sold as Southwest Indian and African water basket lids being sold as Makah woven mats ! ( the book also includes several photos of authentic American 1st Nations work as well...)

I have no stake in the publication of this book and will derive no compensation from it's sales.

15. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Can anyone suggest a book on Canton Enamel? Or a collectors forum? Or some other resource?

I found a little $2 box in flea market type store and it seems to be Canton Enamel, most likely mid-century based on it’s size and shape though I have yet to find an example of mid-century Canton Enamel with this level of detail - it’s absolutely beautiful.

As I began researching I became fascinated with Canton Enamel and I would love to learn more!

Thank you!

Pat Dennis and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Interesting!!! I just checked on Amazon....they have it new, but also have some decently priced used!!! Nice to know!!!!

komokwa likes this.
  17. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

What about an all-purpose guide for a layperson such as myself? The annual Kovels guide?

I do have specific research books for particular items I collect, but every now and then I will see a Victorian era cast iron something or other at the antique store that looks SO COOL and I want to get it.

18. axelrich

axelrich Active Member

I own the United States Coins, pretty useful!!

19. Jed

Jed New Member

Soory to write this off-topic, but I have the same question as Joseph about how to post. I don't have any "Post New Thread" options available, and it says "you do not have sufficient privileges to post here". How do I get sufficient privileges?

20. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Have you registered and opened a confirmation email?

the blacksmith and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted