Featured Reid necklace --happy coincidence

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Bear with me, it's a good ending (I think!)

Yesterday I was reading a post here about Danish furniture in the UK. At the end the OP suggested the piece was possibly by John and Sylvia Reid, so I thought I'd look up some Reid pieces just to educate myself, possibly help if I found a match at all.

There wasn't much on Ebay, so dropped it and went on to other things.

Fast forward to later in the evening. I was looking for a hanging magnifying glass necklace for an upcoming sale I'm going to, and I have a number of vintage necklaces with it and I spot this enamel one and on the back it says, "Reid". I always thought this was a local artisan piece and never tried to research it. I don't wear it much, but I always liked it. I think I purchased it 15-20 years ago, but with "Reid" on the brain, now I'm curious, did that company ever make necklaces? The first initials on the signature are impossible to read, but the "Reid" is clear.

It took me exact one minute before I found a different, but exciting match. Not John and Sylvia Reid, but Barney Reid. What I have is an enamel modernist piece, and the style and signature on mine is positively a match.

I could only find two others pendant necklaces by Barney Reid up for sale. So the only info is just asking price, but both (Ebay and the over priced 1stDibs) are asking over $2K. I'm sure mine isn't worth that much, but maybe several hundred?

There was one on WP, this WP one had no original necklace and is missing some of the metal hardware around the pendant, pendant only. I don't have an account, but here it is:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/highly-unusual-portrait-pendant-220733156

Holding off on posting photos. I guess I could have posted under "Finds" as is , "found in my own house." That doesn't happen too often! Also thanks to the board, once again.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    Figtree3, cxgirl, tyeldom3 and 3 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

All you had to do was say Reid necklace......& my thoughts go here....

Bill Reid...

[​IMG]

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Gasp! It's stunning.

Lucille.b likes this.
  4. Lucille.b

Sounds like there is some amazing Reid jewelry out there. Gorgeous!

(Just to be clear, mine is not Bill Reid, but Barney Reid.)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

((glorp!)) I'd cheerfully make off with either.

Lucille.b and yourturntoloveit like this.
  6. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

What a cool story Lucille.b! Is the pendant on yours the same portrait as the one in your link? Love it!

Lucille.b and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. maryislgal

maryislgal Well-Known Member

Yowza--- beautiful !!

Lucille.b likes this.
  8. Lucille.b

It isn't the same, Tie Die. Same size and general feel, though. Mine shows more of an abstract figure, not a close-up face, and there is hammered metal on top and to the sides of the enamel section, a frame of sorts, and also a leather necklace. More like this one in the link. The 1stdibs price isn't "sold", so not sure of real market value for similar.

https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/nec...lver-abstract-modernist-pendant/id-j_1323823/

I can't seem to find any prices of Barney Reid sold pieces (with the exception of a 68" mobile that sold at Christie's for $32K but that is a whole different category.)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    cxgirl likes this.
  9. evelyb30

Oh my. And you say you've had the poor thing locked up in a drawer? May I ask why?

Lucille.b likes this.
  10. Lucille.b

Not locked in a drawer, but hanging with several other vintage necklaces. I'm not a big necklace wearer. Once in a blue moon.

I sort of forgot about it to be honest. I didn't think it was tremendously valuable. I liked it and it was an interesting piece, but figured it was from a local art show or something. I do like modernist enamel, so was hanging on to it. It wasn't until I bumped into it yesterday (looking for something else) and noticed the signature was Reid. This was minutes after the Reid post in furniture and wondered if it was the same company and just took a quick look online.

It is truly a coincidence -- I mean there is only one single piece from this maker on Ebay, and actually that necklace doesn't look at first glance similar. But I did pause at the 2K+ price tag. So I went on google images searching Reid and found the 1stbids one.

So not locked in a drawer, but close.

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. evelyb30

I have a few enameled pieces that really aren't worth much; they were hobbyist ones and pieces from craft shows. One of them gets pulled out and worn regularly; people always want to know what it is.

Lucille.b likes this.
  12. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Very exciting !

Lucille.b likes this.
  13. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

That is so fun! I hope you do well with it Lucilleb!:)

Lucille.b likes this.
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Love this story Lucille, hope it does well for you:)

Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted