Featured Reinhold Schlegelmilch R S Germany dish, Old or new fake?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 916Bulldogs123, Nov 17, 2017.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Bought this little dish at my local thrift for a buck. I'm not sure if it is a real mark or a later copy though. pretty sure it was sold as a blank and then painted and signed. my questions are as follows
    1. Is it real or newer copy?
    2. How old is it?
    3. What is the flower?
    4. Trinket, Nut, Or pin dish?

Copied from Kovels

RS Germany is part of the wording in marks used by the Tillowitz, Germany, factory of Reinhold Schlegelmilch from 1914 until about 1945. The porcelain was sold decorated and undecorated. The Schlegelmilch families made porcelains marked in many ways. RS Germany was printed in red, orange, green, and blue.

Thanks for any and all information as always.

Mikey

atree 20383.jpg
    atree 20387.jpg
    atree 20384.jpg
    atree 20385.jpg

Figtree3, yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

If it's hobbyist painted, it doesn't matter who made the blank.

Figtree3, judy, Sandra and 1 other person like this.
  3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

As to use, it's for...whatever. I have several of that ilk that I use in the guest room. It serves as a place for Madame to leave her jewelry at night - just large enough for a bangle bracelet, if necessary. (Monsieur gets a more masculine version.)

pearlsnblume, judy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I have used something like this to hold a stack of business cards in my office. Lots of possible uses for these!

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  5. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It's real RS Germany. Most RS Germany is very inexpensive even if factory decorated - just not much interest. As mentioned your little tray is hobbyist painted. I think the flowers are probably azaleas or old-fashioned roses. The leaves look like rose leaves. Both flowers were popular for hobbyist painting in the early 1900's. The business card idea is a very good use and it's possible this was originally a card tray but for receiving cards.
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted