Reinhold Toothpick Holder

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Neece, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Neece

Neece Active Member

This toothpick holder marked R S Germany (which dates 1917-1945) has three initials and '14 on it. How is that possible if the mark wasn't used until 1917? Or could it possibly be someone added it in 2014 giving it as a gift to someone? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Per the Kovels the RS Germany mark could date as far back as 1914.

Neece likes this.
  3. Neece

Neece Active Member

That is good information. I was looking at my Kovels' book and it said 1917. Thanks so much!

4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Neece - Hello & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

Your piece could have been painted by a hobbyist with the initials LJL in 1914. China painting was a very big thing back in the early 1900s. Many companies sold the blank porcelain pieces that ladies would paint & then have the piece fired in a kiln afterward.

Neece and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Neece

Neece Active Member

That is very interesting. I was not aware of that. Thank you for that information!

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted