Featured Religious Tiles

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Marote, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

IMG_4829.JPG
    IMG_4830.JPG
    Any idea where this might have been made?

IMG_4825.JPG IMG_4826.JPG IMG_4827.JPG IMG_4828.JPG
    This seems to be showing St Anthony, with Jesus and the Lilies, but the complete meaning of this tile is a mystery to me.
    EXO OTO 1798? OTO as in Ordo Templi Orientis?

Figtree3, johnnycb09, judy and 3 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I doubt it. In spite of the spelling it looks more like a Roman Catholic Ex Voto to me, a votive offering. In this case because of an illness, and presumably the patient was cured.
    St Anthony of Padua is seen in a vision, hovering over the patients bed. And baby Jesus seems to have given the patient his sacred heart. If that doesn't cure you, nothing will.:playful: A very Roman Catholic scene.
    Imo the date 1798 is when this miracle occured, not when the plaque was made.

Looking at the dress of the woman who is praying on the lower left, I think the origin is Alpine, probably South Tyrole.
    I tweaked that area a bit:

A.JPG

Figtree3, johnnycb09, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

It's a woman! I kept thinking it was a priest! :rolleyes: Ex Voto is indeed more fitting for this scene.
    Is it possible to date this by the style and/or material?

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

It is possible to date it by the hardware, the hanging thingie at the back and the way it is attached.
    I am not good at dating those, but I think @Debora may be.

johnnycb09, judy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sorry, can't help. And had to look up meaning of grapes and wheat on the first tile. An emblem of the Eucharist.

Debora

6. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Nooooooooooooo :arghh:

johnnycb09, Debora and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Here was I thinking you knew everything.:playful: Well, nearly everything is more than good enough.:happy:

Maybe @verybrad can date the hardware on the back?:)

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

You see those flat hanging rings from the very late 19th century, well on into the 20th. Can't tell from the picture how it is attached. I am also having trouble telling what it is made of. Almost looks like lacquered syroco. Is it a clay tile?

9. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what it is... If you tap on it, it does sound like a clay tile. But, as I mentioned in another thread, me and recognizing materials isn't a great combo.
    Here's a close up of the hanging ring (with a brass nail)
    IMG_4845.JPG

And some close ups of the tile
    IMG_4846.JPG IMG_4848.JPG IMG_4849.JPG (for some reason, these 2 don't want to be saved in a larger format)

Figtree3, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted