Reproduction? Farberware Cambridge Cocktail Glasses

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ascot, Feb 11, 2024.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I just picked up 24 of these glasses for almost nothing. I was washing them today and one of them had the Made in India sticker on the bottom. These same glasses are all over various selling sites described as vintage Farberware Cambridge. I tried googling that with "made in India" but didn't come up with anything. Does anyone have any information on who really made these and when?

Thanks so much!
    Janice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

johnnycb09 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
    johnnycb09 and Bakersgma like this.
  3. LauraGarnet02

4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

5. LauraGarnet02

Okay here are some being sold as made in India in the pictures and the description.
    Screenshot_20240211-171833~2.png
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/166279188007

They sure do look like what replacements.com is calling Farber Brothers Carmen.

The search engine sent me to that drawing and I was assuming it was farberware Cambridge. Then the pictures of Carmen's popped up.

I'm totally confused now.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Ooh I had some of these bought for props, but in green. We discovered they came it subtly different shades of green and some were about 1/4-1/2" taller than others. Now it makes sense that some may have been revival copies...?

7. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thank you all! Great information but I’m still wondering about the India sticker. I have the usual glass colors - blue, green, red, amethyst, and amber - but also have 4 with black glass.

8. LauraGarnet02

@ascot Do the glass inserts pop out?

9. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

No, just one was a bit loose. I pushed it down and now it’s firmly in the base. I washed them in pretty warm, soapy water, and they didn’t budge.

10. LauraGarnet02

Well then, after quickly reading tallcakes links, I think this means the ones you have are definitely reproductions.
    And if you look at replacements.com you can see the glass inserts can be bought separately.

mirana likes this.
  11. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

But my inserts don’t come out. I’m confused.

12. LauraGarnet02

The inserts are supposed to come out of the old originals. Look at the ads at the crystal ball article. Look at replacements.com and you can see the glass inserts are sold separately if you need them.

komokwa and mirana like this.
  13. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Got it! Thank you!

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  14. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Love the colors ! Repro or not,theyd look fabulous at a party.

mirana and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  15. LauraGarnet02

mirana likes this.
  16. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Whoops! So I just checked again, and guess what? The inserts DO come out! Still the bottom of the glass doesn't look exactly like the one on Replacements. I should have a photo shortly - my camera is taking forever to upload photos.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  17. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Here's my insert. Lousy pic because I don't have good lighting at night, but I think you can still see that the curvature and bottom are different. So yes, I do think they're fairly recent reproductions.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted