Featured Reproduction or real whatnot?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by KikoBlueEyes, Aug 26, 2018.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

This is the first thing I ever bought in an antique store about 30 years ago. Being very poor at the time, I always thought it was a reproduction as I couldn't spend very much. I just needed some shelves. As I move to upgrading to real antiques, I wanted to ask if this is a keeper or not. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. It does have a branded mark of 44. IMG_0156 (Small).JPG IMG_0154 (Small).JPG IMG_0145 (Small).JPG IMG_0146 (Small).JPG IMG_0149 (Small).JPG IMG_0150 (Small).JPG

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    judy, Any Jewelry, Aquitaine and 4 others like this.
  2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Wait for people with more knowledge about furniture to show up, but with a number mark like that, pretty sure this must be old. I don't think a reproduction would have that.

3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

One wouldn't expect to see jointing like that on newer pieces.

judy, Aquitaine, i need help and 3 others like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. I'm crossing my fingers, as I have always liked it.

judy, i need help and James Conrad like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I agree on both scores already mentioned, but is it old enough to have been new when your house was built in 1911? I don't know, but I do know that if I needed shelves like this for my 1916 Craftsman house, I'd jump on them (for the right price, of course.) Would it matter that they might have been made in the 20's instead?

judy, Any Jewelry, Aquitaine and 4 others like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

Good question. I think my issue is that I have been sold reproductions from the mid 20th century as real antiques. I am purging myself of those things, but am not sure which is which. Also I want to know what to look for when I buy something new, so I am not fooled again.

7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

No, not really as far as value goes but, i'd say this piece is probably late victorian because it's walnut or stained dark to look like walnut. 1890s or so i'd guess.
    Tell you what, oak mission furniture built by the "right" builder which was made for craftsman style housing in the early 20th century, goes for some big bucks! trust me!

8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Yeah, can't tell if walnut as pics really don't show the grain pattern. But plywood came into use in furniture making around 1910 so that's OK. Need a shoutout to @verybrad

9. KikoBlueEyes

James.
    IMG_0157 (Small).JPG

i need help likes this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

James. Thank you for the information. I have a friend down the block who tried to buy some Stickley furniture for his 1920's Queen Anne/Craftsman two story and the prices were outrageous.

11. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yes, mission and A&C can get pricey in a hurry! It's still very popular i am guessing because just about every town in America has Craftsman housing neighborhood/s built at the turn of the 20th century with many restored now or in process of restoration.

12. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Whether or not your piece is a true antique, or merely vintage and guess-the-year, you do not get rid of it! It was your first antique, and it proves that you have a good eye.

A room ful of museum-type furniture is only attractive in a museum.

Debora, judy, Any Jewelry and 7 others like this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

Silverthwait. Thank you. I will head your advice and put it in the save group.

judy, Lucille.b, SBSVC and 3 others like this.
  14. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

What @silverthwait said..."A room ful of museum-type furniture is only attractive in a museum" was perfect!!! You don't want a houseful of 'museum perfect furniture' that you don't dare enjoy!!! And in looking in the background of your first image (Hahaha....we always do that!!:D), you have nice taste, along with this good looking piece!!! Glad you're keeping it!!!!:):):)

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks to be a useful chunk of furniture, no matter the age. If you don't want it in the living room, it would make a good bedside table somewhere else in the house.

Aquitaine and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

Oops. You saw the rocks. Well what can I say.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Late 19th century mahogany stand.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

VeryBrad. Thanks so much for weighing in. I am stunned about the date.

Draft saved Draft deleted