Reproduction vs Antique Dough Bowl

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by AntiqueNewb, Jan 3, 2017.

1. AntiqueNewb

AntiqueNewb New Member

Hey all, I have an antique dough bowl, and would like to purchase another (the first was a gift). I've been scouring the Internet and shops, and noticed there are an abundance of reproductions. So, here's the big question:

How do I tell the difference between an antiqued reproduction and the real deal?

Thanks in advance all!

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)
    This is a hard question to answer. It's something like how much is a car or house.
    Some look so good even those in the know may not be certain.
    If there are signs of use, scratches and chips, especially bottom wear then it may be old.
    Post very good pictures with details and let the folks here see them. Make your photos 480x640 and use the full image button for them all.

lauragarnet and AntiqueNewb like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hi Mary Beth! So are you talking ceramic or wooden dough bowls?

4. AntiqueNewb

AntiqueNewb New Member

Wooden European dough bowls.

5. Bakersgma

Interesting. Since you've said you're in the rural Midwest of the US I would have thought American. How do European differ from American?

6. AntiqueNewb

AntiqueNewb New Member

European are cheaper, which is my main motivator. They're usually longer rectangular shaped bowls, have handles on the ends (American versions have no, or very small handles), and slightly rounded bottoms. One person would grab the handles from one side and rock the bowl back and forth, while another woman (or 2) stood on the other side and kneaded the dough. They're usually handed down from mother to daughter. While they originate in Europe, they were also popular on farms in the US. So, they have history in the Midwest and South as well.

7. AntiqueNewb

AntiqueNewb New Member

This is an American dough bowl. Some are also round. Screenshot_2017-01-03-15-47-01-1.png

8. AntiqueNewb

AntiqueNewb New Member

This is European.

-it won't let me post the picture. But Google will show you. They're usually under $200

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  9. Bakersgma

$700 is outrageous. But then 1stdibs is like that.

I knew what my great grandmother's was like (given to her as a 5th wedding anniversary gift in 1906) - passed down through the generations and a sister now has it - but not that European style had those protruding handles. I learned something new today!

From some from quick searching it looks like the "decorator market" has vacuumed these up! Who knew that Ballard Designs sold "found items!"

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's a lotta dough !!

11. AntiqueNewb

AntiqueNewb New Member

True, Pottery Barn is selling Found European Dough bowls as well. These are sad times for Rural America antiques. How many will be tossed when they go out of style, or "repurposed?"

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Very bizarre........only re-posted below because THIS POST DID NOT SHOW UP FOR SEVERAL MINUTES!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    KingofThings likes this.
  13. Aquitaine

Even American dough bowlS have gotten pricey, but $700. seems to be hitting the thin air!!!!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I don't have a good answer to this, but would say that you would have a better chance of telling the difference if you went to a shop. Buying authentic items online can be very tricky. It does sound like you are already knowledgeable about what you are looking for, so that is a plus.

Lucille.b and KingofThings like this.
  15. Aquitaine

What IS this????? The week of NEW AVATARS??????????????????

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  16. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

It's a new year...maybe that's it? :)

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

KingofThings likes this.
  18. Karll

Karll Member

We have two old dough bowls, my wife has them on different tables filled with ornaments that rotate when seasonal times etc. July 4th.
    We like them so much that I am currently making one obviously not antique for my wife.

Draft saved Draft deleted