Request help identifying age and style of antique sideboard

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Tom Lowell, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Tom Lowell

Tom Lowell New Member

Hello,

Could someone help confirm the age and style and perhaps manufacturer of this sideboard? I have a letter written to my great grandfather in 1897 claiming it is French and from 1750. I'd also be interested in knowing it's approx. value if it's within forum rules to ask. Have been told $2-3K. thank you...
    sideboard.jpg sideboard2.JPG sideboard3.JPG sideboard4.JPG

Ghopper1924 and lauragarnet like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Pictures of the dovetails and the underside would be a big help. I think its American,possibly an early 20th century reproduction. Thats all a guess though.

3. Tom Lowell

Tom Lowell New Member

Thanks. I'll get additional pictures within the next day or so.

Here's a personal letter to my great granddad which doesn't really authenticate anything but I think is cool. Maybe he got taken with a 20th century reproduction. There's some other doc with the sideboard which I'll photograph. sideboardletter.JPG

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The style is Hepplewhite so would think British or American rather than French. Will be impossible to tell age without construction details, a look at the back, etc.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Interesting sidenote. W. B. Standish was the proprietor of the "Old Curiosity Shop" in Plymouth, MA. in the 1890's.

"A veritable museum of colonial curios" per an article in the Boston Globe.

6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Looks 20th century to me as well.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Could it be possible that the letter is referring to a different sideboard that your great grandfather purchased in 1897. The letter makes no reference to dimensions, type of wood or any other identifying characteristics. Perhaps your GGF disposed of the piece purchased in 1897 and replaced it with this one and for whatever reason the letters didn't remain with the 1897 piece.

8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Christmasjoy and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. Tom Lowell

Tom Lowell New Member

Thanks for all the replies to date. Here are the other pictures that were requested.

Dovetail in drawer joint...
    dovetaildrawer.JPG

Underside...
    bottom1.JPG bottom2.JPG bottom3.JPG bottom4.JPG

back...
    back.JPG

closeup of shield on back...
    backshield.JPG

And for fun, the original copy of the typed letter above...
    originalletter.JPG

An "estate sale" person (not an antique appraiser) is suggesting we expect no more than $2-3K in an estate sale. Does this seem reasonable?

thanks....

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im no expert,but that sure looks like plywood on the back. I wonder what those shield shapes were ? Im probably wrong,but I still get early 20th century vibes.Even if it were period,2-3 grand is a high end estimate.

11. James Conrad

I think there is a good chance it's period because of the drawer construction & the back appears to have hand plane marks.
    Even if period, agrees on 2-3k valuation at the high end in a retail setting, half that or less at auction.

verybrad and johnnycb09 like this.
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree that this appears to be period. $2-3K in an estate sale situation is probably about right, if not a bit high depending on area. You might see it higher in a very nice shop in a big city. Always have to keep in mind that, when one needs to sell, you can seldom achieve the results one might see in a high end shop. Particularly with higher end furniture, you are likely to be selling to that dealer and he/she is only going to pay a fraction of what they intend to sell it for.

13. James Conrad

The problem with sideboards is, they tend to be large in an era when most do not have separate dining rooms, the trend today is large kitchens with an eating area and no dining room. Another thing, condition, it usually plays a big role in what the value will be as well as what kind of example is it? good, better, best or masterpiece?

As Brad says, where you sell is very important too. For instance, take victorian furniture, many places you can hardly give it away these days but in New Orleans garden district or Cape May on the New Jersey shore, victorian sells very well because there is a large stock of victorian houses.

CheersDears and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That screams and shouts English to me. It also shouts to me that it had an overmantle mirror or upper part. That's why the shield infills: it's where uprights have been removed. The back looks more like deal or pine, which isn't uncommon - a cheap wood on the back where it doesn't show. I'm a bit undecided on whether it's period or not. The Victorians had a habit of taking nice Georgian and earlier designs and fiddling with them. As in, an overmantle type mirror. How are those handles fixed inside please? Oh, and a look at the hinges would be useful, likewise if you can get a picture of the veneer edge.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. James Conrad

It could very well be english. I can't tell what secondary wood is on drawer sides but if oak, it probably is english. Americans rarely use oak in drawer construction in this period. Naturally, if english, that will lower value in USA, no doubt.

16. Tom Lowell

Tom Lowell New Member

Thanks for all the comments. I'll get pictures of the handles' fixation and the hinges tomorrow.

17. James Conrad

A photo of drawer sides & bottom would help as well to help determine if an English or American piece.

18. James Conrad

johnnycb09 likes this.
  19. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

James Conrad likes this.
  20. Tom Lowell

Tom Lowell New Member

More pics.

back...
    back.JPG

notch on back...
    notch.JPG

handle...
    handle.JPG

handle fixation (or lack of evidence of)...
    handle fixation.JPG

drawer side...

drawerside.JPG

drawer back...

drawerback.JPG

drawer bottom...

drawerbottom.JPG

hinge...

hinge.JPG

inlay (2 pics)...

inlay1.JPG

inlay2.JPG