Requesting help to identify portrait

Discussion in 'Art' started by VerandaJules, Feb 16, 2020.

1. VerandaJules

VerandaJules New Member

Greetings! Found this intriguing portrait at a resale shop in the southeastern U.S. The artwork had become detached from the mat and slipped inside the frame. No signature was visible. The mat was smudged along the bottom and the tag was marked "As Is." When I carefully removed the portrait from the frame after purchase, I could see the signature, "Alex." This also revealed the three crosses on a hill in the background. I love the details at the neckline. The portrait is on heavy cotton paper, embossed with France BFK-RIVES (see photo). The portrait is approximately 26-1/2" high by 21-1/2" high. It appears to be in very good condition. I've researched all the artists named Alex that I can find and would appreciate any help you can offer to identify the artist AlexFrontSmall.JPG AlexFrontSmall.JPG AlexFrontSmallClose.JPG AlexFrontSmall.JPG AlexFrontSmall.JPG AlexFrontSmallClose.JPG . Thank you! AlexSigSmall.JPG PortraitBackSmall.jpg PortraitBackEmbossSmall.JPG FrameBackRotatedSmall.jpg CrossesSmall.JPG AlexFrontSmall.JPG AlexFrontSmallClose.JPG AlexSigSmall.JPG AlexFrameFrontSmudges.jpg PortraitBackSmall.jpg PortraitBackEmbossSmall.JPG FrameBackRotatedSmall.jpg CrossesSmall.JPG AlexFrameFrontSmudges.jpg

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Holy cow that is a lot of duplicate pics!

I don't believe she is Native American. Think the bangs are a dead-give-away.

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  3. VerandaJules

VerandaJules New Member

Sorry about the duplicate pics - first time posting. Thanks.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't see why she would be NA either...

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

No problem. Just go back and edit and use the delete button next to each duplicate.

clutteredcloset49 and kyratango like this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

On the contrary - women in many of the southwest groups have worn their hair this way.
    upload_2020-2-16_12-24-6.jpeg Mohave woman [​IMG]Pueblo woman

My first thought was something to do with the Penitentes, with their emphasis on the crucifixion (including re-enactments).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

upload_2020-2-16_12-40-2.jpeg Penitente Morada (chapel) in Abiquiu, NM.

8. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Arches Rives BFK printing paper for the public at wholesale prices.
    Rives BFK is the paper of choice in lithography, etching, silkscreening, block printing, monotypes, and bookbinding.
    Just a FYI...nothing to do with the artist or subject matter. :D

kyratango likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

any huge trees in those locations.........

10. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Now that this thread has been edited to remove the OP's reference to Native American it makes little sense to read the responses.

komokwa likes this.
  11. flipper

[​IMG]
    How about this picture for inspiration? Except for the face paint....

12. flipper

[​IMG]
    I would have to say that your picture is most likely a reproduction of what must be a famous portrait...which may make it that much more difficult to identify ALEX.

kyratango, Houseful, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If the Edit button is still showing you can go back in and take the duplicates out.

Edit, More options.
    There will be a Delete button next to the pictures you want to get rid of.

14. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Her face and demeanor appear to be NA to me. Can anyone see the beads to identify them, is that a shorter pair of beads or a collar at the neckline?

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome VerandaJules.
    Yes, that is the photo I recognized her from. Countless people used Curtis photographs for inspiration. I did when I was a teen.
    Alex is probably an amateur with some talent, and a proud mother who had it framed. My mother had some of my sketches and drawings framed, which totally embarassed me. They included a 'Curtis' one.

antidiem and Figtree3 like this.
  16. VerandaJules

VerandaJules New Member

Thank you. Attempted that, but was unsuccessful. Headed out, but will make those edits when I return.

17. VerandaJules

VerandaJules New Member

Thank you, @flipper, @anyjewelry and everyone who responded. Looks like you have solved the mystery!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Alex - official name Alexandra Godemiche - was well known at the Sorbonne. she was originally from Orleans, lived in the Marais and worked most of the time around the Jardin du Luxembourg or the Bois de Boulogne.

19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Oh, Fid. I googled the name. Silly me.

kyratango and Fid like this.
  20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Student art. Look at the crosses on the hill. Doubtful it's a known artist or NA.

Draft saved Draft deleted