Featured Retro Mayan Aztec Mexican Central American Handcrafted Wooden Mask

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Marote, May 22, 2024.

1. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Couldn't resist using this title after reading this
    And here's mine:
    image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg
    I think this will have been used in the rite of ... passage through a village by a tourist, where said tourist buys this as a gift, and the receiving party ends up giving this to charity, and I end up buying it ...

But I am curious to know ...
    if it's possible to tell where this comes from (or is 'Mexico/Central America' the best possible description?) and/or
    if this is a specific figure (Tecun Uman, as some sellers with fairly similar masks say?) and/or
    if this is 90s vintage (as some sellers describe similar items) or made a week ago? (well, a bit older than that, as I bought it approx. 5 years ago)

And with Google I only find masks with a bird and a snake, or two birds next to each other, or just one bird, but I haven't been able to find one with two birds like mine.

Last edited: May 22, 2024
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Judging from the back, your piece is not a mask, but more of a plaque. So your identification of it as a tourist item is most probably correct. I can't be certain, but it is probably from Guatemala, and yes, a version of Tecún Umán.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

4. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Thanks! :)
    And is it possible to say anything about the age, based on the style/patina?

Draft saved Draft deleted