Rigging Hook From A Logging Camp: What Is It Called?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by wlwhittier, Nov 19, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

It's about 8" long; the almost-round upper end is ~2 1/2" diameter. The widest part of the hook is ~1 3/4" X ~1 1/4". It is forged steel, of course, and weighs ~4 pounds.

Much logging is done with large wire rope, and every type of logging has specialized rigging hardware. I haven't found anyone hereabouts who can positively identify this hook by use or name. I'm hoping one of you astute folks will have seen or used one like this, or similar.

I have a few other odd rigging forgings laying about...with any luck I'll get some pics of them to further delight y'all. Thanks for lookin'!

3461344D-E9BA-4B9A-A3EE-81DD952C5383_1_201_a.jpeg BC142D88-4CDB-4A49-A6CA-6A86CEC721D2_1_201_a.jpeg CFC06B0E-F135-4F35-A227-CBF24BA0A1E9_1_201_a.jpeg

komokwa likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upside down...it's a question mark...!!:playful::playful::playful:

3. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

I thought I might be able to help when I saw the title. I worked in my youth high line logging in the northwest. I don't recognize that item. But I was just a choker setter and a chaser. Didn't do the rigging side.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a dangerous occupation fer sure !!!

wlwhittier likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

sabre123, wlwhittier and smallaxe like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    wlwhittier likes this.
  7. wlwhittier

Thanks! I'm so afraid of Facebook I won't go anywhere near the site...but you've given me the idea to look for a Logging Forum!

terry5732 likes this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

They are everywhere.

wlwhittier likes this.
  9. wlwhittier

Enough help for me to know mine ain't very rare...and what it might be worth. Thank you!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

Sorry about that, but we all have such stuff. If you found the right forum, you might have a buyer. I met a couple once, who went to conventions and offered to cut some siding for my historic house. I never followed up sorry. Yes There are antique sawmill conventions.

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

"Rare Rigging Hook For Rope Or Cable 292 – B-75CD"....is your's about 7 1/2" long? Prices on ebay seem to run about $95. down to about $22......from what I saw....

wlwhittier and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. savwillsell09

savwillsell09 Active Member

still wondering how its used,maybe something the bell system used,as in lineman's tool,,?, probably the round end fits into a fixed something structure.......as in cable splicing?

13. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

The only tools I recall being used to splice logging cables were spikes. Was interesting to watch someone experienced working at it.

14. savwillsell09

savwillsell09 Active Member

probably listed on ebay,but were any ever sold

Draft saved Draft deleted