Featured Ring origin?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by J Dagger, Mar 4, 2021.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Got this ring in a mixed lot. It was mostly marked vintage Navajo silver stuff with stones. A couple Chinese export pieces. This ring is unmarked. To my eye it looks like pretty good work. Would it potentially also be Navajo or from elsewhere? It doesn’t scream Navajo to me but it doesn’t look totally unlike something they might produce either. Is the stone a dark turquoise or something else? 9EC8D377-BDE5-4B71-BB17-1246462B731D.jpeg AD56E9EE-6629-4C88-B434-45A1733F4C88.jpeg B74A8ED2-7722-401B-A141-9231F6D1FAED.jpeg

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

With the clover and possibly Connemara stone it could be Irish.

kyratango, KSW, J Dagger and 3 others like this.
  3. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Like it a lot. No clue but not NA.

4. J Dagger

Oh yeh, I didn’t notice that the sides were clovers. I’ve only had a couple pieces of Connemara marble and they were very light green. Looked around and it seems like this is definitely within the color range, dark green isn’t uncommon. Based on your tips I’m going to assume it is indeed Irish or at least Irish inspired. Even though it’s unmarked or the marks have rubbed off I can’t imagine this level of detail would have been used on anything less than silver.

KSW and TraceyB like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Shamrock, rather than clover if it's Irish. Not Navajo, certainly and it's not a typically Irish style either. I'm more inclined to somewhere like southern Germany or Eastern Europe.

Paging @Any Jewelry

KSW, J Dagger, DragonflyWink and 3 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beauty, J.:happy: If you ever need someone to take it off your hands......:angelic:
    I agree with that general region. My guess would be Southern German, Austrian or Bohemian Arts & Crafts.
    I have seen European turquoises with that specific darkish green. Most European turquoise was mined in Romania.

KSW, J Dagger, DragonflyWink and 3 others like this.
  7. J Dagger

Well let the mystery continue then!!!

KSW likes this.
  8. J Dagger

Thanks I liked it off the bat too! Although I was easily convinced it was Irish that does somehow feel more right to the look of this ring. I suppose if the next person told me it looked Swahili I might say the same thing. ...or would I? :)

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  9. J Dagger

I’m not even sure I knew there was European turquoise. That’s good to know!

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  10. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Turquoise is found all over the world. Probably the most prized is Persian. I personally like matrix which is common in the SW US and I love the greenish turquoise of Tibet but turquoise is mined pretty much everywhere from the UK and Eastern Europe to South America.

KSW and J Dagger like this.
  11. J Dagger

That mountainous Tibetan region I knew there was a lot used, if not mined. South America makes sense I guess. I’ll check out some different examples and see if I am tell the difference!

KSW and reader like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Afghan and Persian turquoise is gorgeous. Plain clear blue. Used a great deal in British jewellery.

J Dagger, reader and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted