Featured Ring with clasped hands

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Willcpfc, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Willcpfc

Willcpfc Well-Known Member

I have this ring. As you can see, it features a cameo produced hands clasped design. Any opinions as to the material used? I am leaning towards stone given the very distinctive colouration. The ring itself is very small in size.

Any thoughts appreciated. IMG_20210218_115125_compress38.jpg IMG_20210218_115205.jpg

KSW, kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

KSW, kyratango, KikoBlueEyes and 3 others like this.
  3. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

'Gimmal' rings, usually consist of 2 (or more) separate rings which can join/interlock together. They were often used as 'betrothal rings.' The engaged couple would wear one hoop each and re-join them to use as a wedding ring. With triple link rings, a third person could witness the couple's vows and hold the third part of the ring until the marriage.

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Fede or dextrarum iunctio. A sign of loyalty, faithfulness, concord. Worn by soldiers and the married. When used as a wedding ring, it might have the word omonoia on it.

Harmonia ring 1 Roman.jpg
    Just from the general appearance & the fact that someone has set it in a swivel mount, I would say this one is Roman.

KSW, komokwa, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  6. Willcpfc

That is very interesting, thank you.
    This is a better view of the ring mount. IMG_20210218_153100_compress91.jpg

KSW, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

Don't know why I thought this - wasn't fully awake. Think I went from gimmel to gimbal to swivel. Still think the cameo could be Roman, maybe originally in a soldier's ring. Ring itself is 'modern', i.e., post Medieval. Collecting & showing off Roman engraved gems were very popular in the Georgian era but this is not a typical 'collector's' mount from that time.

@Hollyblue Any thoughts on style, construction?

8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Split shank ring,instead of sawing a single piece of wire.Two pieces of half round wire soldered together and the ends split.

KSW, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

10. Bronwen

Think they do the real grip of a master mason on Vulcan.

KSW, komokwa and i need help like this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

@Bronwen what do you think the material of OP is ? Thank you, :)

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

you don't see the real thing in these drawings. the hidden messages are also communicated by amount of pressure, by caressing etc.

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  13. Bronwen

Without seeing it in person I can't tell about the material. Stone is my first impression; closer examination opens the possibility of glass. Would like to see a photo of the underside with light coming through from the obverse.

i need help likes this.
  14. Willcpfc

It wasn't easy. High power torch didn't play well with the camera. It is very opaque. IMG_20210219_080053_compress8.jpg

Bronwen and KSW like this.
  15. Bronwen

Good job with the photo. It encourages me toward stone. Cool to have something so old. :)

KSW and Willcpfc like this.
  16. Willcpfc

I believe it is stone. The unusual white toning and highly opaque character tends away from glass.

I will be showing another ring soon - which certainly has a very old stone in it.

Thanks for the advice/opinions.

Bronwen and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted