River City Foundry Drafting Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Tomhow53, Mar 4, 2024.

1. Tomhow53

Tomhow53 New Member

I purchased a cast iron drafting table with the emblem River City Foundry. I haven't been able to find another one online and not sure if its an antique.

Attached Files:

2. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Hi Tom and welcome to the forum.

Beautiful table...in the style of an antique drafting table.

You can find modern pieces with the River City Foundry logo on them. Here is a website with some of them.

Debora, moreotherstuff and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Tomhow53

Tomhow53 New Member

5. Tomhow53

Tomhow53 New Member

Thank you. I guess it's not an antique. Dang LOL

sabre123 likes this.
  6. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

The site doesn't show any info on age, but you could contact the auctioneer for possible info

7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I'd imagine $150 (auction price) for a new River City Drafting Table (even a quality repro) would be a deal.I'd guess a new one would retail for 4 to 6 times that.A 19th century original would go for 5 to 10 times that,maybe more.
    19th Century Industrial (real) 'steampunk' seems to have survived the MCM price madness-one of the few furniture styles that has !
    PS-Just my opinion,these gents are the experts.
    @verybrad @Ghopper1924 @808 raver

mirana, Ghopper1924 and wlwhittier like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks to be a nice quality reproduction. I am sure it was more than $150.00 new. Here is a similar reproduction at over $2K new....

KNOX Industrial Drafting Writing Table Adjustable Height Iron Base - Tilt Top – Knox Deco

Personally, I see old ones from time to time at the under $600 price point. Can be picked up at auction for even less. The high prices seen on-line are high retail, fishing for clients with lots of expendable income who want what they want. The fact that there are high-end reproductions tells me that demand exceeds supply.... or at least it has in the past. I think the industrial design thing is waning just a little bit. Still strong but I don't know about long-term staying power. Note that the price has been discounted for the one in the link above.

9. bosko69

Re Brad's post,it's amazing how quick & short peak value lasts on antique style trends.It's like the fashion gods & goddesses get bored w/ a style after 6 months,and it's off to the races for the next shabby,post-mod,futuristic regency,blah blah.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
  10. Tomhow53

Tomhow53 New Member

I reached out to Haverty Furniture and this piece was discontinued in 2014. It sold for $1600 new. I sure was hoping it was vintage. Thanks for everyone's help.
    Tommy

11. bosko69

Hope you got a good price on it Tommy.

wlwhittier and johnnycb09 like this.
  12. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Ahhh...'Tis far better to have loved an' lost...!

13. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

An excellent price, a stone bargain. With the triumph of electronic design software, drafting tables are either a curiosity or piece of nostalgia for those of a certain age. Of course they still have their uses!

Still waiting for brown furniture to return to the stratospheric heights of the 80s and 90s. I’m afraid that those words will have to be inscribed on my tombstone….

14. bosko69

I remember it well Ghop-The trucks would pull into the warehouse,tailgate drops,they start bringing out the old oak rolltops ,chain down and the crowd surges forward.Golden Oak-1980's.

Ghopper1924 and wlwhittier like this.
  15. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Those were The Days, my friend...
    We thought they'd never end.

Marote likes this.
  16. bosko69

Yep,those $500-$1500 roll tops !

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I got most of my English brown furniture in the early 80's.....
    a dealer outside Ottawa had a warehouse .... to the brim......I didn't know which way to jump....:woot::woot:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  18. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Good times brother!!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted