Robert Wood painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by rknarr2, Feb 8, 2019.

1. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

I have a Robert Wood painting. I hope this is an oil painting. In my research, I can not determine if its called October Morn or Autumn Gold. Below his name, has - 56 - which I hope means 1956. On the back is stamped Stk. No. 5400- 18x24 and below that is stamped - THE MAGEE CO.' - Please see pictures. I assume No. 5400 is the painting identification number and 18 x 24 is the painting size What do you think this could be worth? Thank you for your assistance in this matter. Robert
    IMG_7776small.JPG IMG_7778small.JPG IMG_7779small.JPG IMG_7780small.JPG

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @rknarr2, I can't tell from your images if this is oil or not......Do you see ANY brush marks on the canvas at all??? I couldn't see any from your images......if you don't see any, could indicate it's a print. The staples on the back are not encouraging to me either. A good oil painting would be held in properly. That being said, I would wait for those with better expertise than I to show up and help you......they WILL be along!!!

judy, i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

There are a ton of these prints out there. Stk. 5400 is probably a designation for the canvas board it's been printed on. Not worth much. There are currently a handful for sale on eBay. You can check the sold listing to see what they're bringing in.

Robert Wood was an amazing artist. I'm particular fond of his watercolors done in the "California Style."

Houseful, Jivvy, Lucille.b and 5 others like this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

October Morn. Not an original. eBay 'sold listings':

Edit: my link didn't work. You'll have to check eBay sold listings.

Jivvy, judy, Bakersgma and 1 other person like this.
  5. rknarr2

ok. I wonder if prints are sold about the same or not. I would not want to compare an orange to an apple but an orange to orange given they are similar in type, size, time period. This print is probably from 1960s or 1970s. rknarr2

6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

God helps those that help themselves. You have it in hand, go compare sizes, etc. in eBay sold listing. I have supplied the correct 'name' of the print.

Jivvy and Fid like this.
  7. rknarr2

8. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I've mentioned the Robert Wood (Autumn Glade) piece we had in my home growing up.

I thought it was completely beautiful.

The fact that my parents owned it? I'd bet a smart ton of money you could buy it at Sears.

judy likes this.
  9. rknarr2

Not interested in owning it and not interested in your failed attempt to demeanor me.

10. rknarr2

I disagree with your labeling of me.

11. Jivvy

I've had no change heart about the Robert Wood piece, but there was no intended attempt to demean you.

Please accept my sincere apologies that anything I said could be read that way.

judy likes this.
  12. rknarr2

You should be proud of your parents owning Robert Wood. I went from a high telling my mom I thought she owned a 5 digit dollar signed oil painting by Robert Wood to a print of Robert Wood. I think it could still be worth some money as an 1960s or 1970s print, I just have to research and prove it. I will probably start by researching the The Magee Co. stamp logo and see what period of time that would have been used. Hopefully, they are still in business or there is information on their labels. Only someone who though empathy would apologize for thinking that what he/she wrote could have been construed in a different text to hurt. Thank you for clearing that up. Robert

13. Jivvy

Absolutely everyone here has had to deal with learning that something they thought was a high dollar item wasn't.

Everyone.

It is painful, without doubt. But about this forum? You are among people who may be a little plain spoken when it comes to evaluating objects, but who mean no ill will toward the object's owner.

Going through your parent's stuff and assigning dollar values is a painful process...another one that, I dare say, most people in this forum have been through and understand.

That understanding will not make the evaluations any less blunt, however. :happy:

14. rknarr2

Your photo shows keys. I just found a couple that look like them. Robert

15. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

My goodness. Put me in that category of everyone.

Jivvy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted