Rococ ink well, makers mark

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Matt Johnson, Jul 16, 2020.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

he said it was broken..........

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

@komokwa - I'm saying the one SIS found is also defective - most of the fence/railing is missing if it is indeed the same form as Matt's.

komokwa likes this.
  3. wiscbirddog

Matt's has a big portion missing on the tray part.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Oooops....OK.......Nevermind !!! ;):shame::shame::shame::wacky:

wiscbirddog likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I agree that there seems to be some rail missing but otherwise it appears much the same and has the same number. Here they are so easier to compare. Just thought it might lead to a maker that had merged or changed it's name somewhere along the line.

There are many inkwell/inkstands with the M-Star mark but I've not found any that know a maker.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any Jewelry, Matt Johnson and komokwa like this.
  6. Matt Johnson

Matt Johnson Well-Known Member

No, it's literally the same. This one is missing parts. It's made from different elements (base, railings, vase abd ink container) which are put together. Mine has screws and nuts on the back as well but all elements are still there.
    Plus they both have the same number 5733. I don't believe they copied it on purpose if it was made by some other company. Maybe they changed their name to H.D over time?

say_it_slowly likes this.
  7. Matt Johnson

Saw it too late, sorry! But yes you are right

say_it_slowly likes this.
  8. wiscbirddog

Matt, the finishing touches on yours is so much more refined than on the one that SIS posted. The brass one is all "blob-y" looking.

Mattcloseup.jpg SIScloseup.jpg

Matt Johnson likes this.
  9. Matt Johnson

Yes, there are tiny differences in the pattern as well
    IMG_20200717_142403_533.jpg IMG_20200717_142330_431.jpg
    Perhaps one is a bit older and the other. I just don't know how popular cast iron was, maybe it was gilded or something? There are traces of black paint on the bottom of mine but I don't think it was meant to be black? Black isn't much of a rococo thing

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Cast iron was popular, and there are still collectors of those old cast iron objects, sometimes collecting from one foundry only. Which is why you should never paint them.;)

Matt Johnson likes this.