Featured Rogers sterling Bridal Veil full service for 6!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by spartcom5, Sep 7, 2020.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Hello! So a few months ago I went out of my way to go to a thrift store that i hadn't been to in quite some time. They hang bags of flatware on the back wall. When I went to the wall I saw a bag full of what I thought had to be silver plate. When i picked it up I was shocked to see a sterling mark! I started to find bag after bag of the same pattern. They had just been put out as well! The store was full of other pickers and the look on their faces was priceless! In the end I got a full service for six but there is one butter knife missing. Total of 1,216 grams of sterling for $20... Not pictured are the hollow handled knives. The box is also a replacement I had on hand.
    20200903_145840_resized.jpg

2. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

what a find! congrats

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

How much is 1216 grams worth, please?

johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  4. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

All 1847 Rogers Bros is silver plate. ... The brand was first used in 1922, the Jubilee year for Rogers development of the process for electroplating silver onto base metal flatware and hollow ware in 1847. For all American made silverware after 1890, if it's not marked Sterling then it is silver plate.

if spartcom discoverd the mark "sterling" on this set than is this set very valuable

https://caseantiques.com/item/lot-357-rogers-bridal-veil-sterling-flatware/

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

While you are correct about the 1847 Rogers mark only being used on silver plated goods, Spartcom did not say that this set used that mark. In fact, Bridal Veil was not made in plate or with the 1847 Rogers mark at all. International Silver made this pattern in sterling using the Rogers Anchor Rogers trademark.

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Nice find, Spartcom5!

Just for clarity, there were numerous 'Rogers' firms in American silver, many related in some manner - the 'Rogers' name can be found on coin, sterling, or silverplate production. This set is not '1847 Rogers Bros.', a mark originally used by Meriden Britannia on silverplate from 1862, continued in use by International Silver through the 20th century - and though not commonly found, they did offer sterling spoons and forks in a number of their 19th century patterns.

'Bridal Veil' is one of the half-dozen sterling patterns introduced by International Silver in the mid 20th century under the 'anchor/ROGERS/anchor' sterling mark that was originated by Wm. Rogers Mfg. Co. in the late 19th century.

Not sure where the 1890 dating for 'Sterling' marks on American silver is coming from, most firms were using sterling silver by the 1860s, and marking it as such...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  7. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Wow. Great hunting!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

sorry if i caused any confusion. i read that she foud Robert & bross set not Roger Bros IS. I have not checked if the pattern was correct as it has indicated it has found sterling silver mark.
    I now know that this pattern was first used in 1950 and by Robert IS, so you are right @Bakersgma

johnnycb09, bercrystal and cxgirl like this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Bakers and Dragonfly are seldom wrong. Silver mavens for the board.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

good eye , Spart !!!!:peeking::peeking::peeking::happy:

11. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

bercrystal and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Amazing score by the way!

bercrystal and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  13. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member