Roll top desk drawers

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by mrtexas, Aug 17, 2018.

1. mrtexas

mrtexas Member

Just bought a 60 inch roll top desk. It also has a file cabinet with horizontal rolls that sits on the top of the desk with 45 drawers.

These drawers have an open back. What are they for and why is the back open. The small one is one of the 45 drawers. The other one is from the desk.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, mrtexas. Have always heard that Texans like things to be big, but it doesn't work here with photo files, which have to be under 1MB.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

FEB3FC9B-352D-42D1-832C-37AB7FBA3A65.jpeg
    Welcome Mrtexas! :)
    Maybe you can add some more photos of the desk. (Please check Full size for all images)

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  4. mrtexas

mrtexas Member

Desk is in pieces. Had to take it apart to fix the roll top track as it wouldn't close.

i need help, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  5. i need help

It sounds like a postmasters desk with that many drawers, but I’m not sure if those drawers would have no back.

6. mrtexas

mrtexas Member

This is from the ebay ad.

desk.jpg

7. mrtexas

mrtexas Member

desk3.jpg desk2.jpg desk2.jpg This is from the ebay ad.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    i need help likes this.
  8. i need help

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Whole lot of filing going on, I would guess, both index cards & folders in stacks. For a specialized use, for sure, not just general office. Interior measurements of various sized drawers would help.

Edit: Maybe not index cards, something more like time clock cards, also in stacks.

i need help likes this.
  10. mrtexas

mrtexas Member

12x10 9x4

Bronwen likes this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Quite the desk! Think some kind of office use. The backless drawers would allow easy access to contents once removed. Could see accountants taking a drawer away to work elsewhere and bringing it back once done. Sort of mini file drawers for some kind of specific content.

i need help and judy like this.
  12. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Top third of piece (with the backless drawers?) looks like it was added on - the color, wood grain, and back paneling are different. So the middle and top piece are both missing drawer backs? - is it possible someone customized this to remove the backs (any sign that mods were made?)

i need help likes this.
  13. mrtexas

mrtexas Member

Don't think it was customized. Top piece not born with desk as it is a different color. Both are 60 inches though. All 45 drawers in top are backless. Several draws in the desk are backless.
    One of the reasons I bought it is I think the top piece is valuable. I paid $1600 and $500 for shipping. I think the top is worth $500 and the bottom worth more than $1600 although huge desks like this aren't in demand. The dealer said he only broke even on it which I think is true comparing this desk with many the asking price of others on ebay. This guy started at $2400 and settled for $1600.

14. rod folen

rod folen New Member

Top piece is a separate version of desk top organizers. It would be acquired if extra file space was needed. The drawers in question were made that way at the factory. The larger one would store flat files or even type paper. The smaller one was for letters, it was a paper only world in the era of these pieces. 1890 to 1920 was the time frame for what you have. I think the desk might be a Moon or possibly an early Globe before Wernicke came on.
    * NAME AND PHONE NUMBER REMOVED BY MODERATOR, OFFERS TO BUY AND SELL MUST BE MADE VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted