Roll Top Desk Maker

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Bootjack, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Bootjack

Bootjack New Member

I paid up for this mahogany desk. It is in great shape. Now that I have it I would like to learn more about it. I have searched the internet for information about the manufacturer to no avail. The brass tag is a bit unclear as to the actual name. I tried many combination of letters (even thought the swoosh was possibly a "c") to see if I could come up with anything. I enjoy researching my finds and putting that info with the piece for future owners. So if somebody knows about the maker or can suggest a reference to do further research....thanks.

Attached Files:

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Bootjack!

Welcome to Antiquers..........

Check the internet again...........

But the furniture people here will more than likely provide you with more info.

James Conrad and scoutshouse like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

James Conrad and scoutshouse like this.
  4. Bootjack

Bootjack New Member

I did check again...guess what ? I found something: The swoosh in in fact a "C" and there is an "o" at the end of the trade mark making it a Clemco desk manufactured by The Clemetson Co., Chicago. Now I'll try to narrow the manufacturing date. My guess is 1920-30. Thanks for the nudge

Aquitaine, judy, James Conrad and 3 others like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

There you go. I'm happy you found something. Nice desk.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NICE desk, nice condition!!! Hi @Bootjack, and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!!:):):)

7. Bootjack

Bootjack New Member

Thanks. Hey another question. Are roll tops supposed to be stored open or closed or does it much matter?

8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Depends on how much do you want to hide. If you are neat leave it open, if you are messy close up it up.:rolleyes:. They were kept closed to keep other people out when you were not there. I always left mine open, nothing to hide or valuables hidden.
    greg

James Conrad likes this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

I keep my secretary open so I can easily get at the useful stuff. Closing it will make you less eager to use it in my opinion.

James Conrad likes this.
  10. Bootjack

Bootjack New Member

I thought I heard that keeping the top closed keeps them in better condition over time....but I don't remember whether it was open or closed or the reason why.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

I think it comes down to what your purpose is in buying an antique. I buy antique furniture for its beauty with the idea that I will use them adding maybe to the wear. I have some antiques that are for the purpose of admiration only like 200 year old glass vases. So I think you need to decide why you bought it and go with that.

James Conrad likes this.
  12. CindyL

CindyL New Member

Beautiful desk

Draft saved Draft deleted