Featured Roman soldier signet ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bego, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Bego

Bego New Member

Hi,

I got this ring from my dad when my grandfather (who was Spanish and born around 1900) died. I have been searching for similar rings to find out more about it. I have seen similar ones with roman soldiers, but the pattern on the gold (I’m guessing it’s gold) seems a bit unique. I think the black stone is Onyx. And I’m guessing it might be from around 1910-30. I’m curious about when, where, and by whom this kind of ring may have been used. Does anyone know anything about it?

Many thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Any marks? And, if so, could/would you post good quality close-up photographs?

Debora

3. Bego

Bego New Member

Unfortunately there are no marks.

4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

What is the "spot" on the bottom of the shank?

kyratango and Debora like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The intaglio may be black onyx; also possible that it is glass. This appears to be in very good condition. Stone or glass would have been at risk of chipping around the edges if the ring had been worn steadily.

Wish I could tell you which one, but the image represents one of the great Greek heroes, in a stylized way. I'm pretty sure there's a kind of code involving the beard or lack of, the helmet & the weapon below the truncation, but I've never learned to read it. Here's a glass one of mine:

ancient_hero_Ajax.jpg It considerately says Ajax.

Think your grandfather would have acquired the ring new. Your date window seems reasonable to me, if it accords with grandfather's life time.

6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this question.
    The ring would have been worn by any man who liked it enough to purchase it, they're not uncommon. :)

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

They were, in fact, quite fashionable. What's special about this one is the good condition & its family connection.

Any Jewelry, Bego, Dessert58 and 3 others like this.
  8. baltojoe75

baltojoe75 Well-Known Member

If you do a web search for vintage men's gold intaglio ring, you will get many results similar to yours. Some will call it a seal ring but that is incorrect, as these were fashion not function pieces of jewelry.

9. Ossy

Ossy New Member

I don't know if your reply suggests that it was cheap and available in stores everywhere, or that only rich people could afford it? :) I interpreted the OP's question as when it was likely made? What might be its origin (e.g., country or region)? Could it be worn by anyone, or did it have some special purpose or significance (e.g., a school ring or an initiation ring for some order, or maybe only worn by members of some specific guild)?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    Bego and Bronwen like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They were fashionable right into the 50s, but the metalwork on your ring says you got the age right. My guess would be 14k, but sometimes they were 10. The softer the metal, the easier it was to wear it to shreds.

Bego and Bronwen like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

American, not "cheap" but a commonly used design and widely available, worn for "pretty" and because the man liked the ring. Most jewelry stores would have carried similar. Made in the USA most likely.

KSW, Bego, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

No, I didn't mean to imply "cheap", though I'm sure they came in differing qualities/price ranges. But I did mean widely available and a popular item of the time, not specifically an item worn only by members of certain clubs/guilds/societies/etc -- if that's what was being asked. :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    KSW, Ossy, Bego and 2 others like this.
  13. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

It seems strange that the op @Bego and another contributor @Ossy both joined the forum on the same day and are both posting from Sweden. :rolleyes:

14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Do they have the same IP# ?

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  15. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

No,its more than a coincidence though,perhaps each might explain ;)

Any Jewelry, johnnycb09 and KSW like this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if it walks like a duck............ ask @Rayo56 !!
    :playful:

Rayo56 and Bronwen like this.
  17. Ossy

Ossy New Member

Ha ha, no conspiracies here. :) Sorry for the confusion. I know OP, and I share an interest in the topic but we haven't discussed it in detail so my interpretation of OP's question was my own.

Figtree3, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  18. Bego

Bego New Member

I don't think this is a mark, at least I thought it was caused by accident from wearing it. What do you think? I tried to take another picture, but found it difficult to get a good close-up, hope it still may help.

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Bego

Bego New Member

I can confirm this. And yes, I was interested to know the origin as well as who could wear such a ring (anyone or did it have a special "meaning"). I think now, from the helpful responses :happy:, we know that anyone who could afford it could buy a ring like this.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    Figtree3, IvaPan and Bronwen like this.
  20. baltojoe75

baltojoe75 Well-Known Member

That is definitely a hallmark.

Bego, IvaPan, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted