Featured Romano Tosi Murano vase signed and dated 1961

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Danse17, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Danse17

Danse17 New Member

I am trying to find more out about this beautiful piece of glass made in 1961 and signed by Romano Tosi, the founder of the famous FRATELLI TOSI Venitian mirror making firm. I can't find any pieces made by Romano only by other members of the family and nothing as old as this piece.

It stands about 21cm high, is in excellent condition and undamaged,- if a little dusty.

It's my mothers and I need to insure it. Any ideas of rarity and value?

It's not just value, it's also about the maker, the company website has little about him and I'm struggling to find much else- I'd also like to see other examples of his work.
    I found that Romano once worked in the V.A.M.S.A. glassworks, as a master-craftsman, better-known as "Mamaracio". Great names such as Walter Furlan were apprenticed to him there in the early 50's.

All the pieces I've seen online have been many £££££ but none of them look anything like this more traditional style.

Any help much appreciated Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @Danse17 and WELCOME!! I can't help, but the "Glassies" will be alone eventually to help! BEAUTIFUL PIECE though!!:):)

judy and komokwa like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree, it's beautiful! That handle is absolutely incredible.

A photo of the signature might be helpful. Or at least write exactly, letter for letter, what is written. You mention the date of 1961, is the signature followed by "61"?

judy likes this.
  5. Danse17

Danse17 New Member

Hi I have now added images of the signature and date which are engraved on the bottom.
    Not sure what the word is above the date, maybe just Murano not sure

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    Figtree3, Lucille.b and judy like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Says Murano. Date is 9th April 1961.

Interesting thing. It's made, as you say, in a much older style, 15th or 16th C. Later this was copied outside Italy and is known as facon de Venise glass.

Figtree3, Lucille.b and judy like this.
  7. Danse17

Danse17 New Member

Thanks so much for the information - facinating already. I wonder if anyone has come across his work online at all because I can't find anything made by him, only later by other members of the same family.

judy likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful.
    Here they are:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  9. Danse17

Danse17 New Member

10. Danse17

Danse17 New Member

It's amazing that this guy was obviously turning out work his whole life, was a master of his craft teaching many of the great names in Venetian glass and I can't find a single picture of anything he made- extraordinary. Well I've written to Sotheby's in London and also to the Tosi family to see if they can help.

Figtree3, Lucille.b, judy and 2 others like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Great, will you let us know what they say?

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

You might also try the glassmessages.com board and the Murano Facebook group.

Figtree3 and Lucille.b like this.
  13. Danse17

Danse17 New Member

Yes sure I'll give them a go and let.you know

Lucille.b likes this.
  14. Danse17

Danse17 New Member

Sotheby's aren't interested they gave the standard reply not suited to thoer sales or outside of their area of expertise.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

:(
    Anything from the Tosi family yet?
    Or the options @Ownedbybear suggested in post #12?

Draft saved Draft deleted