Rookwood pottery bowl-date it anyone?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rosie Davis, Jan 3, 2020.

?

Approx.date anyone ,and what kind of bowl?

1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rosie Davis

Rosie Davis Active Member

Thrift store find today. Any info on what kind of bowl and approx. Date would be greatly appreciated it is marked with the reverse RP,and 14 flames, XXll X
    Measures a lil over 13" diameter. 20200103_205024.jpg 20200103_205002.jpg 20200103_205024.jpg 20200103_205002.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Rosie. Can we see a more direct look at the marks please?

3. Rosie Davis

Here is a better pic of markings.

Attached Files:

4. Bakersgma

I'm sorry, Rosie. I would really appreciate it if you would try again. Crop the bottom off that picture so that the actual mark appears in the center of the frame. I cannot see the XXII X you mention above - I see one X on the left and then nothing legible, just circles?

5. Rosie Davis

6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Looks like 1922 (XXII) but hard to tell from these photos.

That is a really excellent thrift store find! I don't see any condition defects. Production ware, so on the lower end for Rookwood Pottery but still very nice.

judy likes this.
  7. Rosie Davis

Ty, for info, any idea of the value?

judy likes this.
  8. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I'm not a Rookwood expert but I think the X marked in the glaze might mean this is a factory "second" - probably because of those big bubbles / lumps on the underside.

Here's a shape 2258X bowl that had an auction estimate of 6-800 but it was hand decorated and signed:

http://www.humlernolan.com/Auctions/December-2011/Rookwood/1454

Here's another 2258X bowl and set of candlesticks that failed to sell with a starting bid of 40$

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/70349059_3-rookwood-pottery-pieces-1930s

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    cxgirl, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  9. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I agree with aaroncab in that this is a second due to minor imperfections.

Hard to pinpoint a value with the art pottery market being as soft as it is. I'd say anywhere from $60 - 120 with the high end being retail price in an antique store setting.

judy likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

Not here, Joe. I bought my only piece of Rookwood (1922 actual art pottery and not tableware in perfect condition) at a large sale this fall (the 4 sellers there were quite knowledgeable about what they had) - $10.

Joe2007 and aaroncab like this.
  11. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Wow that is crazy. Amazing how far art pottery has fallen. That is cheaper than an inexpensive imported planter they sell at Pier One Imports or other junky décor stores.

aaroncab and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted