Featured Rosenthal dinnerware set appraisal

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Alex45, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Alex45

Alex45 New Member

Hello all.

I am not into these things, so need your help with estimating the cost of this set from my grandmother. She bought it in 1933. I took some photos of it. Not all large plates are shown (about 10-15 larger plates I did not bother taking out). On most of them it says "Bavaria", but only on a couple it shows "Bavaria Madeleine". No cracks, only on some the gold border is worn out.

24 main course plates
    10 soup plates
    6+5 dessert plates
    The rest you can see in the pictures. :)

I appreciate any help. Thank you!

Alex

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. KentWhirled

KentWhirled Well-Known Member

Madeleine would be pattern name or shape name. Lovely set in lovely condition it seems. Unfortunately, fine porcelain dinner sets are NOT terribly desirable these days, but the fact that yours is "plain" is greatly in its favour. Sets like this do well near the holiday season. However, 12 place settings usually get divided into 6 and 6 or 4 and 8 place settings as those are the more usual sets these days. How much? Who knows as it depends on many variables. You can check completed auctions on eBay and elsewhere.

Alex45, Christmasjoy, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Several things to consider before deciding to sell.
    One your age? Married? Kids? Grandkids?

If you are young and unmarried, you may not want it now, but may be sorry in a few years. If you are older with kids, they may want it later.

If you want the highest valuation, go to Replacements.com. Their prices are best for insurance values, not for using as selling price.

As Kent said we are coming up on the holidays. The best time to sell. Sets of 4 will weigh about 20 lbs so shipping will be very high, bringing little for the dishes.

You might check out your local Craigs List or online garage sales.

Sandra, Alex45, judy and 2 others like this.
  4. Alex45

Alex45 New Member

Thanks guys! It's my mom's. She wants to sell it. Have other dinnerware sets which are also not being used. Just taking up space. So she wants to sell this most expensive one. Other are cheaper but just as nice. I wouldn't ship it. Live in a small country so if someone wanted it he could come check it out and pick it up if he likes. Keeping it is not an option for several reasons. Cheers :)

5. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted