Rosenthal tea set question

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lilbit, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Lilbit

Lilbit New Member

I have recently inherited my mother's Rosenthal tea set. I have searched the internet for any information regarding this pattern, with little success. The only thing I have been able to find is that the mark is from 1935? It's a set for 6, and is in very good condition with no cracks or chips.

I would like to find some information as to the name of the pattern and possibly the value of the tea set. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

I'm attaching pictures of the set and its stamp.

PART_1538525157909_IMG_20181002_190527.jpg IMG_20181002_190507.jpg PART_1538525147499_IMG_20181002_190341.jpg

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome lilbit. It's a lovely set. The shape is Olympia. The pattern probably does not have a name but is one of the numbers shown on the back - most likely 1793. Tea sets were often not part of a whole dinner line set but a purchase unto themselves. For value I would check eBay for sold Rosenthal tea sets. Unfortunately, it's unlikely to have much value as tea sets are not much in vogue at the moment and there are more sets on the market than the market can absorb.
    Don

Christmasjoy, Sandra, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Also, I find people don't want dishes that can't go in the dishwasher or microwave, no one wants to hand wash these days :(

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I love Rosenthal. We had an au pair when I was a child whose mama worked for them, and she sent us loads of it. Given the sheer quality and prettiness, it ought to be worth a lot, but it isn't. :(

Agree on the date. Use it, and remember.

judy, SBSVC and dgbjwc like this.
  5. Lilbit

Lilbit New Member

Thank you everyone for the replies. I have looked around on ebay a bit but really have seen any similar sets, to speak of. I have someone interested in purchasing the tea service but have absolutely no idea as to an asking price.

judy likes this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

We normally don't do pricing here. Antiques and collectibles is a pretty volatile market. The same item can sell for radically different prices even on the same day. And it depends on how quickly you want to sell the item and how fond you are of the buyer. As I mentioned these sets are out of fashion right now and there is nothing particularly distinctive about the design or the pattern on this this set. I'm not trying to disrespect the set just giving you my honest opinion. Personally I would recommend a price under $100 but that's JMHO.
    Don

larryE, judy and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

and that's why.......We normally don't do pricing here;)

larryE and judy like this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I don't mind. I made an exception. I think sometimes it's tough for folks not in the biz to pull a price out of thin air. Ebay sold listings wasn't terribly helpful in this case so I thought I'd throw out a starting figure. Take it or leave it.;)
    Don

judy, larryE and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

Hey, I've throw out numbers before Don.....lots of us do.....cuz we're trying to help....just that most of the time it's on the low side.....so as not to get the OP's hopes up..

judy, larryE and dgbjwc like this.
  10. Lilbit

Lilbit New Member

Thank you all for your replies. I really do appreciate you making an exception in this case.
    It is difficult for those of us with little to no experience in such matters to make decisions when it comes to value of a certain item. Particularly when you have an item that is not easily compared with others.
    Thanks again!!

dgbjwc, judy and komokwa like this.
  11. komokwa

Even with experience....it's difficult for us as well !!! :):)

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted