Featured Rotating cabinet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by busryde, Nov 29, 2019.

1. busryde

busryde Active Member

This is another family hand-me-down. It's a rotating cabinet, I guess my only question is the purpose. I've seen bookcases like this, but this piece has glass facing panels, so I thought maybe it was more for display than functional use. I always try looking up this stuff before I post, but sometimes, I draw a blank. Thanks Antiquers! rotcase_fullview.jpg rotcase_base.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

My guess is that it's just a very nice rotating bookcase. Someone many come along who knows that it is something else altogether.

Bakersgma and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

These are often called rotary bookcases. This one doesn't appear to be all the old; perhaps it was a project for a handy ancestor?

patd8643, Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Its either a 70s copy of an older piece,or its been refinished to death. Either way,very handy item.

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. busryde

busryde Active Member

Ha!, yes johnnycb09, it has been refinished to death. My grandparents were notorious for refinishing furniture and reselling it. My grandmother was doing this well into her 70s. Her motto was "it's furniture! It's meant to be used!" so she would restore pieces to resell. I'm fairly positive she would have stripped any labels in the process. I have to politely defer with you about the age, due to wooden caster wheels. I think that definitely predates it WW2...likely 1920s-30s.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Have also seen something similar in antique stores, with lights within, showcasing jewelry.....and taller pieces! NICE piece!!!:smuggrin::smuggrin:

7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Granny had it going on! Love the story!

Draft saved Draft deleted