Rough Dresser

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by shady54, Nov 28, 2020.

1. shady54

shady54 New Member

I found this barn find dresser for sale on Facebook. Wants $50 but is flexible. I like the design and size, I think it might be a fun project. Size of dresser says is 34x19x24. This is all I know, can you give me any information about the piece? What is a fair offer? Any help would be great!

i need help and judy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

offer less...and have at it..!

3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

C. 1900 style is late classical, often called empire revival or pillar & scroll.
    Considering it's all there, particularly the mirror and in fair condition, I'd say $50 is fair.
    Good candidate to refinish or paint.

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I would be tempted, that mirror is beveled edge. If you buy it please show it to us after you are finished fixing it up :)

5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Offer less, but the mirror alone at dressing time is worth $50!
    :cat::cat::cat:

I have an older piece, Victorian, with a mirror such as that. I think it's called Princess style, but the furniture people will correct me on that if not.

6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Oak, Empire Revival as James noted. I think of Princess style as being the whole package, i.e. the dresser as well. It typically presents as drawers on each side of a large mirror with the center of the dresser cut out or limited to one drawer on the bottom. Think Jean Harlow. This type is actually found well back into the 19th century.

If it were me I'd refinish it, since you've got some nice oak grain. Considering the amount of work involved, I'd offer $25 and go up a little. $50 seems high.

James Conrad, i need help and judy like this.
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Thank you Ghopper for the correction.

The dresser I have is as you described....drawers each side, but mine has two drawers on the bottom.

I have the bed to match. I love the set. I was fortunate enough to find it just driving around locally. A local auctioneer at the time, lived not too far from me, and as I was going by his house, he was loading it onto a truck, as he had just sold it.

Well, I begged and pleaded, and the new owner sold it to me.

For those in NE, especially MA, the auctioneer was Carl Stinson, from Reading, Ma.

It was my daughter's first big bed (after the crib) and I still love it. It's dark oak (which I prefer over light), and has a lot of "carving" at the top. Not sure of the correct wording for "carving" because carved it is not. Molded something or other I guess.

8. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Have you ever refinished a piece before? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

judy, Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  9. shady54

shady54 New Member

I got the dresser for $30. Yes I have done some pieces but very much an amateur. I noticed on the back a tag Innis Pearce & Co. Just a little research seems to show they made good quality furniture. I will share some pictures once finished (which could be a while).

judy, Drew, Ghopper1924 and 2 others like this.
  10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

No matter, we love to see the end result :)

11. shady54

shady54 New Member

James can you assist me in telling me what type of wood this is? I just started but am intrigued by what is hidden under the 3 coats that was on top of the wood.

judy likes this.
  12. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

I may be wrong but I believe thats tiger oak or quarter sawn.

judy likes this.
  13. shady54

shady54 New Member

That was my thought but it just seems darker than what I have typically seen so I was not sure.

14. James Conrad

Yes, it's quarter-sawn oak veneer.

komokwa likes this.
  15. James Conrad

Ditto drawer fronts which, you need to be careful as the veneer is delicate and doesn't like harsh treatments or water.

16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This looks, suspiciously, like false graining.

Bakersgma likes this.
  17. James Conrad

Inked or printed?

Draft saved Draft deleted