Featured Royal Crown Derby Dinner Service

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 15Stiftgasse, Dec 21, 2021.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Hello. I've recently come across this pretty extensive Crown Derby service which is being offered for sale privately for a modest €60. Since leaving the UK, I now focus my collecting efforts in other areas. However, I find the pattern quite attractive, but would be at a loss as to what to do with such a volume of pieces if I did decide to buy.
    One thing that did cross my mind, was to retain a few 'select' items, then possibly try to dispose the rest via an online auction, as there is limited demand for English porcelain in central Europe, where I now live.
    I'm aware that the market for such things has changed in recent years, but would be interested to know if such pieces - whether as a set, part set, or even as a cup and saucer or trio - have any commercial value anymore.

Thanks for any help or advice !!!

332_1205198074.jpg 332_1921379019.jpg 332_-908728727.jpg

Houseful, Pat Dennis, judy and 5 others like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

At a UK b&m decent auction that set is going to be £300-500, Derby is also favourable in the Far East, not so much in continental Europe.

Houseful, judy, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Did you check ebay sold listings? I believe the pattern is Kings, made over a long period, so older marks would be more desirable.

Houseful, judy, 15Stiftgasse and 2 others like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I believe the mark you're showing is from 1897 if it helps.

From Godden's book of marks.
    20211221_214247.jpg 20211221_214258.jpg

Houseful, Hi2022, Pat Dennis and 5 others like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bargain. That would still sell well in the UK.

15Stiftgasse, Houseful and Hi2022 like this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I would buy that (I'm in the US). The price is very good. I think you can make a profit on the serving pieces and get your money back quickly. I would be tempted to sell a "coffee/dessert service" with the coffee pot, cream/sugar and maybe about 6 cups/saucers and 6 dessert plates. If you do, be sure to put the term "Imari" in the title somewhere. RCD made a lot of Imari style patterns and they're hard to identify. Sometimes buyers just want this look and are not concerned with the specific pattern name. It's just a beautiful set!

dgbjwc, 15Stiftgasse and Houseful like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

snap it up.......pack it like eggs !

15Stiftgasse likes this.
  8. Dory64

Dory64 Well-Known Member

Lovely set and yes it does appear to be King's pattern. Certainly teapots, jugs and the slop bowl sell quite well here in NZ, and trios, but for some reason the plates - not so much. I tend to sell in sets as Ola402 suggested, if listed at the same time, a person could buy several sets if they wanted a larger grouping, but other's might be put off by one large set.
    Found a similar set - description of pieces below - sold at auction for USD$325:
    Additional Details

Description: 3 tea cups and saucers. 10 cups & saucers and 3 demitasse cups with 4 saucers, all pattern #383, late 1800's early 1900's. Blue & rust flowers with gilt accents & trim. Tea cups 2.75" X 3", saucers 5.25". Cups 3.25" X 3", saucers 6". Demitasse 2.25" X 2.25", saucers 4.5". Variations in marks & dates, wear to gilt, see photos for condition. Abington Auction Gallery

15Stiftgasse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted