Featured Royal Documents

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by chrisC, Apr 5, 2016.

1. chrisC

chrisC Member

I've always been interested in history so of course when I Found this like 2 years ago I jumped on it.

I bought this document on a auction site about 2 years ago. It was listed in Coins and came with a ugly 1782 1/2 Escudo. I think because it wasn't listed with having the document really no one paid attention to it. I ended up being the only bidder and got it for the melt value at that time. I took the document to an antique shop and museum and they both said they believe it was authentic. I couldn't find anyone around that could seal it up (with the size of it) so I had a custom frame built. I had it placed between two pieces of non-stick glass. I took pictures of it in the frame also with and without light for the royal water seal.

The document is from King Charles the 3rd of Spain dated 1784. It is concerning the Order of Santiago, which was an order of Spanish Knights. It has the signatures of numerous members of the order and governors at that time.

it started my collection of Royal documents and i have obtained 7 others since then. i will post more on this thread as time allows.

i did post this once with coin talk and the escudo.

my goal is to get a document from every reigning monarch from the house of bourbon.

chris

spain1.jpg Spain 2.jpg spanish2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  2. chrisC

chrisC Member

Here is a piece I obtained recently. it is a Spanish royal document signed by King Ferdinand 7th dated 1817. It says

In accordance with the Papal Bill which legislates on Church appointments, I designate the Julian del Barrio to exercise priesthood duties at the Diocese of Havana.

Signed: Madrid, 25/2/1817. I THE KING.
    Witness: Martin de Guaria.
    1817.jpg

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Cool. Very cool. Around here people are more likely to collect bourbon-themed shot glasses.(LOL)

KingofThings and chrisC like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Interesting watermark on the first. Have you investigated archival handling for these? Is sandwiching a document as you describe archival practice?

5. chrisC

chrisC Member

well the document is covered with non pvc acid free protector and then put in between the glass. its sure a lot better than it was originally.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's an interesting specialty.

7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!
    Very interesting!

chrisC likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, it sure sounds like you're going about it the right way.....Happy Collecting!!!!!

chrisC likes this.
  9. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

like these musical boxs DSC07679.JPG DSC07677.JPG

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  10. chrisC

chrisC Member

this is one i bought this month.

1810 Royal Spanish Document signed by King Ferdinand 7th. The document is the official proclamation making 2 May a holiday in Spain. 2 of the document co-signers helped create the constitution of 1812 for Spain. 2 May is the date the Spanish revolted again French Occupation.

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/spain/madrid-day
    DMC21 (1).jpg DMC22 (1).jpg DMC23 (1).jpg
    s-l400 (4).jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  11. chrisC

chrisC Member

This is a document I purchased with the 2 May Document. its from 1829 and signed by Queen Maria Cristina, Ferdinand 7th's 4th wife and ruler for a period. i haven't had a chance to translate it yet, but ut appears to be concerning the diocese.
    DMC03.jpg DMC05.jpg DMC06.jpg DMC08.jpg s-l400 (3).jpg

cxgirl, Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted