Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Books
>
Royal Insignia on old French book?
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="Maaike van der Velde, post: 13116039, member: 114671"]Very interesting copy. I think the title-page inscriptions may be the strongest clue. The left appears to read <i>Collegii Paris. Societ. Jesu</i> and the right <i>Donum Auctoris</i>—so it apparently belonged to the Paris Jesuit College and was recorded as a gift from the author. The same ownership wording is found in other books from the Collège de Clermont, later known as Louis-le-Grand.</p><p><br /></p><p>I would treat the oval label as a separate, later ownership mark. The initials look like <b>A.H.L.</b>, not an abbreviation for the Académie, and the title page only identifies Duclos as a member of the Académie; Guérin and Prault were the actual publishers. The coronet may suggest a titled private owner, but it does not necessarily make the label royal. Since the Jesuit library was dispersed and its books sold in 1764, a later noble owner would fit the provenance nicely. So perhaps not a royal insignia—but possibly something even more interesting: an author-presented Jesuit-library copy with another layer of ownership history.[/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="Maaike van der Velde, post: 13116039, member: 114671"]Very interesting copy. I think the title-page inscriptions may be the strongest clue. The left appears to read [I]Collegii Paris. Societ. Jesu[/I] and the right [I]Donum Auctoris[/I]—so it apparently belonged to the Paris Jesuit College and was recorded as a gift from the author. The same ownership wording is found in other books from the Collège de Clermont, later known as Louis-le-Grand. I would treat the oval label as a separate, later ownership mark. The initials look like [B]A.H.L.[/B], not an abbreviation for the Académie, and the title page only identifies Duclos as a member of the Académie; Guérin and Prault were the actual publishers. The coronet may suggest a titled private owner, but it does not necessarily make the label royal. Since the Jesuit library was dispersed and its books sold in 1764, a later noble owner would fit the provenance nicely. So perhaps not a royal insignia—but possibly something even more interesting: an author-presented Jesuit-library copy with another layer of ownership history.[/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Books
>
Royal Insignia on old French book?
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...