Featured Royal Oak, MI first fire department

Discussion in 'Art' started by flipper, Apr 2, 2020.

1. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

At my patient's homes today, she showed me the first picture of the Royal Oak, MI fire department. Her father was the captain and they had a "class picture" of the crew. I wondered what kind of value it would have, in terms of maybe it should go to the local museum, or if it would be something that firefighter collectors would think was really special. Share your thoughts. rofd.jpg capt.jpg truck.jpg futt.jpg corne.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm sure there would be interest in the collector market but... I'm a big proponent of items of this nature going into public collections, where they can be accessed by all. Royal Oak has a historical society which, I'm sure, would be interested in accepting. Or the local fire department would likely be delighted with a donation.

https://royaloakhistoricalsociety.com

https://www.romi.gov/259/History

Debora

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Figtree3, Bronwen, NewEngland and 8 others like this.
  3. flipper

Thank you, Debora,
    I will suggest that to her.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

These types of pictures generally do not have too much value. However, since this one has a picture of the fire engine, it is in a different class. Maybe a couple hundred to the right person. The badge would also have value by itself. Local historical value could be priceless!

Figtree3, trip98, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Has she thought of donating it directly to the current RO Fire Department (rather than the RO Historical Society)? I would think they'd be thrilled to hang that in their common room!
    I once came across a late 19th century autograph book (for $1 US) with lots of autographs from members of a small community in my home state. I contacted their historical society who was very happy to receive my donation and put it on display in their little town hall. Many descendants of those that had signed the book still lived there. :)

Figtree3, Bronwen and cxgirl like this.
  6. flipper

I will, thanks.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

If you find out what she decides and what the outcome is, we'd love to know!

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I should add that the Royal Oak Fire Department was newly formed and all volunteer at the time.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

@Debora , As a retired Firefighter and collector, I can tell you that a lot of it has to do with condition, as far as Value.... and big city Fire departments always get top dollar, like San Francisco and New York. I think , in my opinion, these would be very much appreciated by the local Museum or Fire Department, hopefully to be put on display for all to see. (Cited from: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/r...aign=Feed:+AntiquersUpdate+(Antiquers+Update))

Figtree3, Debora and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Since the RO Historical Society is situated in a fire station, it could go to them & still be appreciated by ROFD. Think they would be reluctant to buy it, but would love to have it donated & maybe would spring for the price of shipping if needed.

bluumz and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted